ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange coolant problem

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Right my coolant seems to have a mind of its own. it's dropping low and sometimes emptying but I can't find wherits going to. The garage has had a look and is baffled. Any ideas where else it could be going so I can look?

Thanks

WRX
You'll have to run it up to temp and see. Worth checking the expansion bottle for cracks and the cap for leaks. Otherwise you're just going to have to look for drips from hose joints or cracks in hoses etc

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
We have had three vauxhalls in work with the same issue. The problem was the expansion tank. Has very small hairline cracks letting the steam out when hot. Replaced and the issue went away. Makes sense especially with our cars being 10 year plus with the same bottle.

Check the thermostat housing were the pipe comes off they usually corrode under the hose and weep.
Also the oring seals inside the plastic hose ends to the heater matrix under the bonnet near the firewall can leak when up to temperature.

dan's cast offs.
Get the cap tested first.

Had one last week that was doing similar thing and was a faulty cap, genuine Reno one and not that old either. Had a load of spare caps and tested five until I got one that was holding full pressure.

Get the cap tested first.

Had one last week that was doing similar thing and was a faulty cap, genuine Reno one and not that old either. Had a load of spare caps and tested five until I got one that was holding full pressure.

Thanks again Carl haha.