ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange chugging

FF Racing Blue 182
Hi there,

I've started to get a strange chugging mostly in 2nd gear. Slowing down and putting it in 2nd and lifting the clutch is when it starts. It seems to happen when under load either hot or cold. Going to fast to use 1st.

Changed the coil pack and leads 2 years ago with ecp stuff. Land sensor, coolant sensor and plugs got done same time with the proper ones and all that was under 20k ago.

I've not had any lights on dash or strange engine sounds. It really feels like a missfire.

Any ideas as it really bugging me as it's so unpredictable when it will happen.

Clio 182 and standard.

Thanks

Renault Clio 2003
Slowing down and putting it in 2nd and lifting the clutch is when it starts.
When going at over idle revolutions and the gas pedal is not being depressed, the injection type engines (all modern ICEs) should stop injecting fuel into the cylinders. This is called engine braking. At this point the ignition coils, etc., also have no role. So if your speed is at least 1.5 times the idle revolutions, I would suppose the ICE should be in engine braking mode.

If at this point the car starts chugging it is not related with the engine at all. Probably your drive shaft inner CV joints are getting stuck and re-opening instantly. This might create quite a hefty shaking sensation to everyone riding the car.