ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stop tyres scrubbing arch when lowered?

So basically I'm trying to get my coilovers as low as possible and make it still drivable.
I know having it super low will ruin the handling more. However I wound the coilovers down more yesterday, went for a drive and on every bump in the road the front wheels scrubbed the arch liner, however looking at taking it off, there is a strip of metal behind where it scrubs so removing it will cause more damage to the tyre.

I don't think camber bolts will work due to where it is scrubbing and how close the coilover is to the tyre.

So basically is there anything I can do to get it lower without chopping bit out of the metal frame/remove arch liner.

I'm rolling with 5mm spacers so they don't rub the coilover. if I space it more it'll just rub the same if not more due to the angle of the arch and the metal. Tyre stretch could be the only way, but f**k that. the metal is only about 5mm in height so wouldnt make much difference.

I see loads of lower clios on the front than mine, It cant just be a case of they run stretch on the tyres and I dont. :/

e92 330i
I think it's.a combination of stretch, camber and spacers. Not a cheap experiment to find the right mixture to get the required stance.

Some snaps:

SDC17784.jpg

SDC17788.jpg

SDC17789.jpg

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Mine is a little higher than yours but it's scrubbing like a b**ch on the front. You need to cut the front bumper bracket down with a dremel. Ignore the "raise it back up" sheep.

Once the bracket is trimmed you should have no bother.

Cheers, I'll have a play with the bumper bracket and see what I can do. Is there any part of it I shouldn't be cutting off?

Gouldy, do you have damping adjustable coilovers? Mine are 1 turn off the stiffest on the front which reduces a fair bit of the scrubbage compared to the softest setting.

Listerine & Poledo
how about a set of bump stops?

You'll wind up with no suspension travel, but what does that matter when it's all about the looks?

e92 330i
I'd say mine was that low at the front if not lower. I'm also running 5mm spacers and mines on oz f1's so maybe diff et. But I'm getting no scrubbing on full lock or speedbumps.

What profile tyres are you using? im rolling brand new PE2's 195/50. Might be down to the damping of my suspension, as I've got FK's not rokkors.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I can get over speed bumps no bother, it's the bumper bracket stripping rubber off my tire that's the problem. Stupid thing. I've found a cheap dremel Halfords sell and I've got a jack I can borrow on Friday now so I'll be altering the
Brackets my self.

e92 330i
What profile tyres are you using? im rolling brand new PE2's 195/50. Might be down to the damping of my suspension, as I've got FK's not rokkors.

I'm on 195/50 fitted say one month ago. Surely fk's are stiffer then raceland coils?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Bumper backet has now completely gone, scrubbing is much much improved however current suspension is still v. soft.

172 with k-tec sound
ive got the racelands and i just hammered my brackets out the way no probs, also the bump in the arch liner has gone.

165/50/R15's tires (presuming your wheels are 6.5J?).
Negative camber, pikey washers or shims for the back, Fronts the FK's are camber adjustable.
And finally roll your rear arches, can rent/buy a roller or a rubber mallet.
This will sort you out.

Mines been lower on 15's, it's now on 16's and I've had to do the above to stop the scrubbing.

Yeah they are 6.5J et 38.

They are fine on the rear, no rub at all. I might possibly buy some camber adjusting bolts for my FK's. Thing my biggest problem is the bumper mount and the 195 tyres. I'm not a massive fan of stretch.

I don't have any problems with the bumper brackets, currently running no arch liners in the front though. My fronts including the adapters are ET25 but with 165/40/R16 on 7J's. SO i think the stretch pretty much clears the brackets.

My FK highsports are quite stiff and camber adjustable at the front, not sure why you would need camber bolts?

Not sure if mine are camber adjustable really. They are Silverline X. I have them set 1 turn from full stiffness, although im going to be changeing it, because motorway speeds are just scary with it so stiff.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
turned out the first dremel i bought was s**t so i bought another on this morning from B and Q. this did the job nicely and ow there is much lows with zero rubbing.

f**king expensive, bit of a ballache, 2 dremels later win!

Looking for 182
I had to dremel my bumper brackets as well. Only rubs if I hit a dip in the road WHILST cornering hard. Fine 99% of the time :)

It isn't rubbing on the bracket though, just a small bump in the arch wall.