ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STOP and battery light on dash :(

Megane Sport F1 :)
Hey,

Iv searched on here and found a fair bit of information out about this but just wanted to double check before I take the plunge and buy a new alternator and/or battery :S

I was driving last night and suddenly the STOP and battery light came on. Turned the car off and then back on but light came straight back on. Drove to work this morning and the lights flicker, stay on or go off randomly. The car started this morning but did seem a bit slow to fire up. Obviously Im going to check for any lose wires and earth feed but can anyone diagnose this based on what Im experiencing? Don't really fancy getting beached somewhere when the car wont start.

Any help would be apprechiated.

Thanks,

David

​Just had a local garage check the battery and Iv been told its fine. Iv had a volt meter across the battery terminals and the alternators pulling 13.5v when the engines running, which Iv read is correct. Cars running fine so that rules out a coilpack doesn't it? Any other ideas??

Did your battery and alternator seem to be working ok though? My thoughts are if the voltage readings are ok, which they are then the battery and alternator can't be faulty..?

Renualt Clio 182
sounds to me like your alternator as when the car is running the voltage should be between 13.8 to 14.8 when the engine is running and with the engine off the voltage should be 12.5 to 12.8
hope this helps

Charlie

Mine did this but it was the big red cable going to the alternator had sheered off.

Thanks for the replies guys. Was yours running ok? Mine runs fine, no side effects, just the lights on the dash. Is this red cable accessible from under the bonnet or is it a bumper off job?

Thanks

BG FF182
Had this happen to me last week. Took car to garage and have been told I need a new alternator :dapprove:

Thanks for all the replies guys! The cars still the same,lights on and off all the time and flickers still. I'm I right in saying while I'm driving it I'm just slowly draining the battery? it's been 2 weeks now and it still starts...

Nimbus Clio 197
Mine has started doing this today. Except now and again the service and esp lights illuminate as well and the radio goes off. What the hell!

Mine has started doing this today. Except now and again the service and esp lights illuminate as well and the radio goes off. What the hell!

Mine doesn't do that just flickers at times etc. does my head in coz I'm just waiting for the alternator to die fully. But the other part of me wonders if its just faulty wiring coz its been 2 weeks now...

Titanium 182
Alternator not producing enough amps ..... I checked my voltage which was 13.5 but I couldn't check the amps die to not having a ammeter got a garage with a ammeter and I think it was 60 instead of 105 . New alternator , no problems , just because the alternator is producing the right volts doesn't mean it's producing the right amps and can still be faulty . Hope this helps

Nimbus Clio 197
Im 99% sure my problem is the alternator here. Thought it was on its way out when the lights came up on the dash. Will find out for sure when breakdown truck arrives!

Clio 3 RS
Same problem here. Car still runs like it should, but the stop & battery light light up randomly. Also when driving at night my headlights sometimes produce less light, and then go on again. Car has already been at the dealer last week, couldn't find the problem. But the error keeps coming more often and its annoying, so I am bringing the car back today.

I've had this, the power cable to the alternator was lose and eventually sheered off. Temporarily bodged it but eventually needed a new battery and alternator.

Clio 3 RS
I've had this, the power cable to the alternator was lose and eventually sheered off. Temporarily bodged it but eventually needed a new battery and alternator.

Almost same problem with mine, alternator cable had rust on the contact. They cleaned it, should not happen anymore.

It will more than likely be your alternator. I had the same problem And my alternator smelled of burning. Put another alternator on and it was fine