ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stonechip/paintwork repair

Z4
After 90,000 miles my front bumper needed love, and lots of it.
Lots of 'road rash' stone chips, a deep scratch, and a few scuffs I'd decided it was time for a respray.

Or was it? In true tight arse fashion, I thought I'd have a go at repairing it myself. If it went tits up I would get a respray, simple.

I followed a guide on DW. Basically the method is clean the area, removing all waxes etc, mix up some paint with cellulose lacquer 1:1, apply it to the bumper thinly with a lint free cloth, then buff off with mr rotary.

Here's what I was dealing with...(wax stripped, revealing the horrendous naked truth)
chips.jpg

chips2.jpg

chips3.jpg

After application
mid1.jpg

mid2.jpg

At this stage I'd realised my DA didn't have nearly enough b****cks to remove the excess paint. Oh dear.
I decided to give the front a light wet sand with 2000 grit, then machined.

Here's the finished article (pre wax/fillers/glaze etc)
after1-2.jpg

after2-2.jpg

Is it perfect?
No. But it was never going to be!
Is it a marked improvement?
Hell yes.

I'd recommend this method to anyone considering a respray, I hope this helps

Tried this on the Clio a few years ago and worked well. But it chipped up again in no time as it was a poor spray in the first place.

Looks like cracking results! Not sure about the 2000 wet and dry, but appreciate it was no option... option.

Z4
Sorry, I forget to mention with the deeper scratches and chips I layered up the paint solution in the chip/scratch and wet sanded down to level out individually.

Z4
Tried this on the Clio a few years ago and worked well. But it chipped up again in no time as it was a poor spray in the first place.

Looks like cracking results! Not sure about the 2000 wet and dry, but appreciate it was no option... option.

I'm not too afraid of a bit of wet&dry but I know you detailers aren't fans!
My confidence was reinforced by the fact that I knew the levels were thick previously as a mate checked it with a PTG, all seemingly original BMW paint, with the orange peel to prove it lol.