ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stinking Sky+ up the swanny

RIP Dan
Sky+ box was changed out as it was goosed in October just inside the warrenty.
Got home today and it worked on my saved stuff in the planner but "no signal" for everything else.
Unplugged it a couple of times etc and now it is stuck in standby.

Its only 6 months old ffs and Sky want to charge me for a service call.

Rip off merchants. I realise its now out of warrenty but its only lasted 6 months.

Any ideas?

Mondeo ST TDci
It takes a good 2 /3mins after a power down to be able to get the green light back on. once its back on you can try a full system reset.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
It takes a good 2 /3mins after a power down to be able to get the green light back on. once its back on you can try a full system reset.

How do you do one of them?

(also, i was in wsm end of last month, drove through 'Bornville?' wtf is that place, some random throw a brick at the car smashing the back window out, not mine thankfully, seemed a rum place though,notorious area? or just v.unlucky?)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
If they replace a unit - the warrenty only extens from 3 months of change.

The replacement units are all refurbished units.

Mine was replaced in Dec.... so had 3 months from then.

Just outside of my "3 month" warrenty my units now taken a death trip :mad:
Now they want to charge me to replace......

At the time it was "yes there refurbished units, but there 100% spot on you will nto have trouble with them etc..."

Now look whats happened lol

Mondeo ST TDci
bournville... you need to aviod that place.. its the worst place in weston LOL !
have you got your green light now then?

Mondeo ST TDci
services>system setup> then 0 then 1 then SELECT again.

Now you will have the engineer setup.

Try planner rebuild first (which SHOULDN'T loose anything)

If this doesn't work do a full system reset which will reformat your HDD.

The full reset will loose ALL recordings and things you have in your planner.
if this doesnt work... you can force a software update by un plugging sky +.. wait for 1 min, hold backup button on the sky box (not remote) then whilst still holding it in plug the mains back in. you will get on screen prompts.

Sy

Pajero 3.8 V6
I had both my boxes changed last week, plus a new LNB on my dish. Somehow my whole system was goosed. I got another 12 months cover on all that.

RIP Dan
If they replace a unit - the warrenty only extens from 3 months of change.

The replacement units are all refurbished units.

Mine was replaced in Dec.... so had 3 months from then.

Just outside of my "3 month" warrenty my units now taken a death trip :mad:
Now they want to charge me to replace......

At the time it was "yes there refurbished units, but there 100% spot on you will nto have trouble with them etc..."

Now look whats happened lol

Snap.

Phoned a mate this morning who is coming to have a look at it.

I hate Sky and hope their offices burn down with all employees inside.

As father and son....
I was about to mention the refurbished unit myth, but it appears its not a myth. Thats utterly disgusting :\

K20 EG Hatch
I replace on average 5 sky+ boxes a day.

They are always refurbished items and at least two a week that they give me to replace them with are dead out of the box!

Your problem is more than likely just "no signal" and something wrong at the dish end or cable and actually nothing to do with the box at all.

And the stuck in standby problem is a common problem with all sky+ boxes.

K20 EG Hatch
services>system setup> then 0 then 1 then SELECT again.

Now you will have the engineer setup.

Try planner rebuild first (which SHOULDN'T loose anything)

If this doesn't work do a full system reset which will reformat your HDD.

The full reset will loose ALL recordings and things you have in your planner.
if this doesnt work... you can force a software update by un plugging sky +.. wait for 1 min, hold backup button on the sky box (not remote) then whilst still holding it in plug the mains back in. you will get on screen prompts.

And neither of these will resolve it, best bet if you dont mind loosing your recordings is turn the power off at the box, hold the backup button in and turn the power back on. Keep hold of the backup button (on the box not remote) untill all the lights light up and then it will do a force update. May resolve it but if its getting no signal this will not work.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Sky will give you a free service call if you threaten to cancel your subscription with them. Be prepared to take the cancellation to the bitter end and they will give in, they have a department there who are employed to keep your business and will offer a free service call if required.

If the box is buggered and they want to charge you for a new one/service call. Buy one off ebay and set it up yourself. Will work out cheaper.

RIP Dan

They are always refurbished items and at least two a week that they give me to replace them with are dead out of the box!

Your problem is more than likely just "no signal" and something wrong at the dish end or cable and actually nothing to do with the box at all.

Went up on the roof and found out the demin clad neanderthal who installed it 13 months ago cannot make a coax off properly.

It came out of the connector in my hand. Remade it off as i was taught at college many moons ago and Sky is now working.

I still hate them.

K20 EG Hatch
Good man :D

Some of the things that the sky engineers do are an absolute joke. I have been to many service calls where the F connectors have just come off the cable in my hand like yours has done.

Well done on sorting it and you have saved yourself a £65 service call :p

Went up on the roof and found out the demin clad neanderthal who installed it 13 months ago cannot make a coax off properly.

It came out of the connector in my hand. Remade it off as i was taught at college many moons ago and Sky is now working.

I still hate them.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Got a 2 month free upgrade of Sky Movies which Sky have successfully attempted to try and charge me for. Well done Sky. Seriously if I didn't read my mail...

Octavia VRS
Phone up to cancel, reiterate you want to cancel and then voila the offer of a free service call. - just what sneeks said!

I only hate Sky when it's not working, the rest of the time it's alright, especially when free!

RIP Dan
Got a 2 month free upgrade of Sky Movies which Sky have successfully attempted to try and charge me for. Well done Sky. Seriously if I didn't read my mail...

We had exactly the same........my Mrs who is usually very placid was kicking off big time with them. They charged us for a few months until she realised. They never mentioned to her when they phoned and offered the "free" 3 month movie upgrade that we had to cancel. After lots of huffing and puffing they finally gave us the money back.

As for free Sky by threatening to cancel. Been there done that;)

King of the moaners

Bully

ps did i mention that i hate Sky?

Phone up to cancel, reiterate you want to cancel and then voila the offer of a free service call. - just what sneeks said!

I only hate Sky when it's not working, the rest of the time it's alright, especially when free!

yup, i'd do the same! you lot are moany f*****s.
I remember back when i had normal sky the box went, well, it would keep having probs, i got the old... "they'll be a charge to come out sir, and possible the cost of a new box", so i said, send me through to cancellations, withint 10 mins i had a free service call and and new box when they did so.

Had sky + since it came out, and never had a single problem. And its silent too, in my bedroom every night.

Look at it this way, it could be worse... you could be on Virgin Media. pmsl.