ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

still having issues with flickering fog light

Yozza'd Titanium 182
There's virtually nothing wrong with my 182 and never has been, it's been a great car but the one problem that is still driving me round the bend is the flickering fog light (on the dash) when I brake.
i have removed both rear light and cleaned the connections the best I can...
is there anything else that it could be?

Many.
Make it so the plugs on the car are a bit tighter on the pin on the light. Simply needs the plug on the car squeezing in a bit.

Other option is to solder a peice of wire to the bulb holder and onto the Clios earth wire.

Could also be worth cleaning the earth behind the rear panel trim.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Make it so the plugs on the car are a bit tighter on the pin on the light. Simply needs the plug on the car squeezing in a bit.

Other option is to solder a peice of wire to the bulb holder and onto the Clios earth wire.

Could also be worth cleaning the earth behind the rear panel trim.

The earth has been mentioned before, were exactly is it located?
When you say solder wire to the bulb holder what would this do?#
Also is it passenger or side ?

Westfield, 182, 200
Basically, the fog light will be getting is power through the earth somewhere as the earth is not connected back to the battery 100%

To cure it you need to clean all the terminals and connections and the bulbs of any corrosion.

If you have an elecrical test meter, you can measure the resistance between the connector and earth to ensure it's a good contact. Crimping the terminals will ensure a better connection.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The metal prongs on the connector (loom side) bend and distort over time. This results in it not connecting properly.

A lot of fcukery and messing about, but you can fix this yourself.

Turn all the lights on, wiggle the plugs, wiggle the loom, find out which metal connector is playing up and with a small flat blade screwdriver, 'adjust' accordingly. You will get there in the end.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Jesus Christ lol stupid Renault

ok will give all the above a go...
were exactly is the earth located?

Black 182 FF
Just noticed my rear fog dash light flickers when I indicate right. Looks like I'll have to look at the rear cluster then.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
were abouts is the earth? I havnt taken the interior plastic boot trim of yet, but i found two wires coming frrom the passenger rear light which appear to go into what looks like a rubber grommit?

clio dci , ren8
like mentioned in earlier posts the connecters on the rear lights are not making full contact including the earth ,pop the rear lights out ,un plug them carefully bend the tabs in the connector to make them tighter but not to tight so they bend up when you push them back on ! check the pins are clean and not corroded or black , push the plug back on and should be sorted

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Have you fixed this yet james?

No, I have cleaned all the connections with a wire brush but that didn't work. Im unsure exactly were exactly the earthing point is, so my next attempt is to pinch the connections as said about.
Is the fault on the drivers side or the passengers?

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Right I have cleaned all the connections, and that hasn't worked.
I have bent all the tabs so that they are tight and the problem is still there.
After fiddling around and swapping them round, having one plugged in and then the other one, I think its something to do with one of the grey boxed that holds all of the bulbs.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mines been doing this for a few months now , especially when it's damp / raining . I checked the connectors on both rear lights today , no sign of corrosion , they actually looked like new . So i just sprayed both connectors with WD40 and the problems gone away now ( fingers crossed ) .

Yozza'd Titanium 182
finally resolved the problem... jesus i have never know any job iv ever done on my car to be so bloody annoying.

i sanded down / scraped the paint of the earthing points, didnt do much, i cleaned the pins and tried to pinch each connector slighly tighter, i switched the light clusteres round, fiddled with all the bulbs and if anything it just got worse.

i was so annoyed that i started kicking the tyres and telling the car i hated it, then i gave up, put it all back together...... and it stopped :)

then i walked in all smugg to my mum and was like "fixed it" ;)