ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stiff clutch!!

Do all 16vers have extremly stiff clutches? or is it just mine. Seems as though u need a leg the size of a tree trunk work it!!!!!

SO frustrating in traffic!

Andy

he he the joys of owning a valver, yeah mate thats the norm im affraid! mines exactly the same! At least i dont have to go to the gym lol

Smokey

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Yeah but be careful. Mine was tiff when I got it at 42k and now at 76k it is stiffer. You get used to the clutch being stiff so think its normal but the clutch as it wears, tightens, and gets stiffer. Getting mine changed soon so hopefully will be able to comment on difference. When you start snapping clutch cables, its the clutch that is at fault not the cable !

i dont think its the clutch that wears causing it to become tights, its the lube in the clutch cable. If you have a new clutch cable fitted you will notice it becomes soft / easy to use. Over time the lube wears out and it gets tight. This is when the cable can sometimes snap.

Ive been through 3 clutch cables, and 2 pedals!

Ive had the clutch cable go once!

But do not fear mate its a clio trait! My old 1.4 used to have a heavy clutch and so has my 16v! Eventually you wont even notice it - until you drive another car when youll put your foot through the floorpan!! lol ;)

Mr2 Roadster

Same on my 97 RSi... But they are piss easy to change if they snap and cost sod all from Renault so who cares. Might buy a spare for the boot thinking about it! How sensible would that be!

Mr2 Roadster

Once you have done it a few times its not too bad at all, I can do it roadside... but then its just as easy to start it it gear and drive it clutchless if there is no traffic.

Mr2 Roadster

You could be right actually, I have done mine and its the same sort of thing as on my old R5 1.7.

should try my clutch, u need a hydraulic leg to work it ;) u get used to it after a while tho... and tbh.. i pref driving a stiff clutch car instead a clutch that feels like a baby could drive!:)

regarding the tightening of clutch...

on the Renault 5s, as the clutch wears.. it winds itself up so it gets tighter etc.. might be the same for valvers?

need to order myself an uprated clutch, mines on way out too i think

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Got Nick Hill to check mine when I was round there and mine shouldnt be as heavy as it is. That is what he told me and he should know the number of Clios he gets to see.

Obviously you get used to a heavy clutch cus its heavy anyway. Probably dont notice how much heavier it is. Think at 76k its worth replacing the clutch as it hasnt been done so far.