ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel

Clio 182/VRS Estate
I'm sure there will have been posts about this already but... what do you recommend to do with the steering wheel? Replace it with OMP or similar ( smaller wheel ) or get the standard wheel done in alcantara?

If anyone has replaced the wheel, what have you don't with the steering controls? Cruise control etc.

Thanks

182FF - Land Rover
I think you mean suede covering. Really this type of covering is when you have racing gloves for precision grip. Else it takes up all the palm grease and gets shiny. Flat / perforated leather for bare hands.

Clio 182/VRS Estate
I think you mean suede covering. Really this type of covering is when you have racing gloves for precision grip. Else it takes up all the palm grease and gets shiny. Flat / perforated leather for bare hands.
Thanks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
330mm aftermarket wheel.

Unless you are a bus driver and take your work home with you.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I have an omp one, forget the name but was about £80. Bought from Demon Tweeks.

Momo boss not the omp boss, £60 ish.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I had someone off here fit mine, doing other jobs too. But yeah it looked easy lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that does'nt affect things.

You would lose cruise control unless you make something to use.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Personally i've got a 300mm OMP wheel in Poly, with the Momo boss as suggested (has the little tab for the steering wheel angle sensor). I've also got a DND Snap-off boss and i've managed to make this work with the Cruise Control adapters people sell on here time to time. My mates reckon i've got wireless NOS but i'm not sold 😂

Fitting is easy, trickiest bit is getting the airbag out but that's about it

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Really bad photo from before the cruise control switches were added, the addition of the snap-off boss does bring the wheel quite a bit closer to you but its optional obviously!

Attachments

• IMG_20170121_182316.jpg
    IMG_20170121_182316.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 138
  Clio 182/VRS Estate
Ideal
Really bad photo from before the cruise control switches were added, the addition of the snap-off boss does bring the wheel quite a bit closer to you but its optional obviously!
Ideal. Thanks. Where's best to buy? Seen a few on eBay but buy cheap buy twice n all that...

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Ideal

Ideal. Thanks. Where's best to buy? Seen a few on eBay but buy cheap buy twice n all that...

Whatever you do make sure the wheel is genuine, seen enough mates with replica nardi's and sparco's fold them in half when it comes to accidents... Same with the snap off if you're going that route, the cheaper 'ebay' specials' wear out stupidly quick inducing a scary amount of play, wouldn't surprise me if it would suddenly unlock on you... I bought the wheel from a website called YBRacing mate, was around £120? it came with a OMP Boss which functionally fitted but didn't have the tab for the Steering wheel angle sensor. The snap-off boss was from Stealthy Garage when they were still abount (used to do JDM Scene kid stuff now they've rebranded to Death or Glory clothing). Ended up picking up the Momo boss for around £40 second hand off here, along with the cruise control panel for another £20-ish second hand off here! You'll also need some resistors to stop the airbag light coming up, cant remember the resistance value but i think they were literally around 60p for ten from Maplins!

Hope this helps

Clio 182/VRS Estate
Whatever you do make sure the wheel is genuine, seen enough mates with replica nardi's and sparco's fold them in half when it comes to accidents... Same with the snap off if you're going that route, the cheaper 'ebay' specials' wear out stupidly quick inducing a scary amount of play, wouldn't surprise me if it would suddenly unlock on you... I bought the wheel from a website called YBRacing mate, was around £120? it came with a OMP Boss which functionally fitted but didn't have the tab for the Steering wheel angle sensor. The snap-off boss was from Stealthy Garage when they were still abount (used to do JDM Scene kid stuff now they've rebranded to Death or Glory clothing). Ended up picking up the Momo boss for around £40 second hand off here, along with the cruise control panel for another £20-ish second hand off here! You'll also need some resistors to stop the airbag light coming up, cant remember the resistance value but i think they were literally around 60p for ten from Maplins!

Hope this helps
Perfect. Cheers mate

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Would definitely recommend holding a 300mm in your hands first if possible, some people find them way too small but I like the almost go kart feel it gives. 330mm is more common

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@Dloy90 I found Venom Motorsport was one of the cheapest places for a MOMO boss when I bought mines a few months ago. Just bought my OMP Targa (330mm) wheel from Rival Motorsport as there were actually slightly cheaper than YBRacing on eBay (plus I’ve had a previous bad experience with YB, so I wanted to avoid them if I could).

Clio 182/VRS Estate
@Dloy90 I found Venom Motorsport was one of the cheapest places for a MOMO boss when I bought mines a few months ago. Just bought my OMP Targa (330mm) wheel from Rival Motorsport as there were actually slightly cheaper than YBRacing on eBay (plus I’ve had a previous bad experience with YB, so I wanted to avoid them if I could).
Would definitely recommend holding a 300mm in your hands first if possible, some people find them way too small but I like the almost go kart feel it gives. 330mm is more common

Will do. Thanks

Clio 182/VRS Estate
Ideal. Cheers mate

Had a omp trecento uno in my old clio cup and have a he suede version now in the megane.

I personally love the 300 mm size, gives me loads of control. Get the polyurethane or leather versions though as the suede is a pita to keep clean.

Fitting is easy. Bit fiddly but easy. You'll need some 3.3 ohms resistors for the air bag plugs (srs) to keep the light off on the dash.

Dont use the spring clip on the centre horn if you get one with the wheel as it'll short out. Just wire up some spade connectors for the horn or relocate the horn.

_20170922_122432.JPG