ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel vibration

RS Clio 200
So, was at Bedford Autodrome yesterday with my 200T and under heavy braking the steering wheel was vibrating really harshly. Car was MOT’d in October and brakes were in very good condition with not much wear (standard pads/discs). In normal use this doesn’t happen, and after giving the car a rest in the pits for half hour and then going back out it was OK for a few corners before coming back again.

Any ideas on possible causes?

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Any flat spotting on the tyres? Have any off track moments into gravel?

Does the car behave normally at speed on the straights or is the vibration there a little too?

Could be a build up of hot rubber putting the wheels out of balance, could be an engine mount or could simply be that you've warped a disc.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Pad deposits on the discs, pretty common for track use.

Pretty hard to clean up but you’ll need to get them hot to do it.

A more track orientated pad will help.

RS Clio 200
Hi, thanks for all your comments! No off moments into gravel and no flat spots. Car behaves absolutely fine at any speeds with no vibration unless heavy braking. Vibration is not their at any other point. Yep all bolts are fine, no issues there. Sounds like it may be deposits on the discs. Will pop to local garage next week just for a check. Would engine mount problems only surface under braking or at any speed? Cheers.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Hi, thanks for all your comments! No off moments into gravel and no flat spots. Car behaves absolutely fine at any speeds with no vibration unless heavy braking. Vibration is not their at any other point. Yep all bolts are fine, no issues there. Sounds like it may be deposits on the discs. Will pop to local garage next week just for a check. Would engine mount problems only surface under braking or at any speed? Cheers.

To be fair my suggestion of an engine mount being worn/damaged was unlikely but thought I'd mention it just in case. Usually you'd notice an engine mount also under heavy acceleration and when pulling away quickly.

RS Clio 200
Standard pads and discs, when you say ‘feedback through the brake pedal’ I assume you mean vibration? If so no, the only vibration was through steering wheel! Everything was perfectly fine!

PH2 172
Standard pads and discs, when you say ‘feedback through the brake pedal’ I assume you mean vibration? If so no, the only vibration was through steering wheel! Everything was perfectly fine!

Sorry, I just read 1st post regarding OE discs/pads.

I would expect some flutter back through the brake pedal if there were disc deposits, which should also be quite obvious visually, and evident under medium braking also.

Beside the vibration through the steering wheel, was there any evidence of bump stop steer?

Brake pad deposits.png

RS Clio 200
No problem! No other noticeable differences to my other previous track experience with this car, I honestly can’t be sure if I felt anything like that through the pedal, was too distracted by the steering wheel vibration. I’ll report back when I’ve been to the garage for investigation!