ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel sensor fault affecting ESP

Hi Guys

I am making a dedicated track vehicle (Clio cup 54 reg 182).

I just put on a momo steering wheel and as mentioned in some other threads the horn wires melted in a puff of smoke without blowing the fuse....ok not bothered, don't need a horn.

However the ESP light is now on, This is because the steering wheel sensor has been damaged by the horn wires blowing up!

My Question is:
I don't ever want traction control, ESP ever again as the car is for track only. So I want a sure fire way of disabling the ESP system whilst leaving ABS active.

Is there a fuse I can remove to ensure there will never be an instance of ESP becoming active whilst driving hard on the track.

Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Clio Campus / CRX 16v
I'm not sure about this, but there might be an option on Clip to configure the vehicle to ''without'' ESP.

Also, if the ESP light is on, I expect this means it will be inoperatve anyway?

I'll ask one of the RTE's tomorow for you.

Ian

Thanks Ian

Don't mean to sound stupid but i've only just picked this clio up, is Clip the software used when connect to the ECM via laptop?

If so, I don't have the software or leads! The car isn't road legal so i'd need the fix to be done local unless I trailer it and take it somewhere.

Thanks for your quick response Ian.

Clio Campus / CRX 16v
Clip is indeed the diagnostic tool for Renaults.

I will find out tomorow a little more about the ESP system and get back to you.

No probs, Ian

Mazda Mx-3
Hi. I own a 2005 182 ff and i have fitted my momo s.wheel 2 days ago. I have used two 3.3ohm resistors for the airbag cables as it is written on this forum and kept the cc buttons (neatly took out the cc buttons and cables and attached them to the new momo s. wheel) . I normally drive the car without any problems and without the serv light. But when i use the cruise control or disable the esp/tc 2 minutes later serv light appears with the esp light and it stays untill i stop the engine. It seems to be a steering wheel sensor problem as edde and others mentioned before, but if it is broken how can i drive with the esp/tc on and fully functioning. Only if i try to disable it i have the light and esp goes for good. Dj rpm have you got that info about the esp and clip? The Magpie is there anything progress about your car?
Waitin for help, thank you :rolleyes:

no progress from this thread about my car. However, I just wanted ESP permenantly disabled as it's a dedicated track vehicle, good luck with gettting a response!

Any one local in Essex who can use clip to turn off my airbag and ESP lights?? Short of that i'll just remove the bulbs! lol

Mazda Mx-3
The Magpie, today i took my car to the Renault Factory (where they produce megan sedans and the new clios). Unfortunately they told me that i have broken the steering sensor and there is no way that they can repair or recalibrate it because that device is too sensitive for a clumsy tuner like me :( tomorrow they will replace it. So there is no way of using the clip for esp/tc/abs settings before changing the sensor. They said that with a broken sensor you can drive your car without esp but abs will malfunction as well and you will not have what you want. And they couldn't give reasonable info about disabling esp completely whilst everything else working properly.

You can turn off the airbag light with 2 3.3ohm 0,5w resitors its easy.