ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Wheel Retrim Advice!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
So I've booked my car in to get the steering wheel retrimmed next week. The replacement leather is pretty much an identical colour which is good news and I'm having it stitched in white/grey to go along with the other silvery coloured bits in the car. I was originally going to do orange stitching to match the outside, but there is nothing else inside the car that colour so thought it might look a bit strange.

So my one big decision which I'd like some advice on, is should I get the thumb grips covered in leather or not? I'm trying to keep it looking OEM, and the thumb grips are in good condition, but I don't know how much longer they will last.

Should I get those covered as well or leave them be?

Listerine & Poledo
just get the leather grips, you wont regret it.

I had mine done by Mikey on here to, pretty much, the same standard you're suggesting.

Much nicer than OEM, since you're losing most of the plasti-leather, may as well go all-in and leather the lot.

Hope this helps

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I have always wondered whether it would be possible to "leather over" the thumb grips (assuming they are in good condition) using the same piece of leather as the wheel rim so you get the shape but cannot see the grips as distinct stuck on bits. In other words, so it looks like a steering wheel as on most other cars!

is1

Integra Type R DC2
yep, you sure can.

I was thinking more along the lines that you would not see the outline/edge of the thumb grips, so they're completely covered over. A bit like this (so the grips don't look stuck on):

$(KGrHqN,!lkE8HPTf!mIBPFcn-E77w~~60_12.jpg

Okay sounds good. I've ordered half a hide whatever the hell that means so I assume they'll be enough to go over the thumb grips as well. Thanks very much for the advice guys. I'll put up pictures after its been done.

just get the leather grips, you wont regret it.

I had mine done by Mikey on here to, pretty much, the same standard you're suggesting.

Much nicer than OEM, since you're losing most of the plasti-leather, may as well go all-in and leather the lot.

Hope this helps

Yes thanks very much.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Is it a local place?
I'm pretty much in the same situation. Grips are good at the moment. The rest is a mess.

Its on the East side of Birmingham, 40 miles from where I live in West Bridgford so its not too bad. I've been putting it off for so long I just thought I'd get it done while I had the chance. It is possible for him to do it if you mail your steering wheel to him, but I'm not that technically minded so it was easier for me just to leave the car with him for a day or so.