ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel removal

Trophy
Is there a trick to getting the steering wheel off? I have the airbag off and the torx bolt out but it just doesn't want to come off the spline! I've tried a rubber mallet and WD40 on the spline.

Thanks in advance!

Clio Trophy
have you take the torx bolt out completely?? would recommend putting it back in slightly so you dont smash your self in the face with the steering wheel when you pull it off

192'd BG 182 FF
Put the torx bolt in and only leave 3-4mm for the wheel to move towards the bolt. If you pull it straight off as said you probably will hit yourself and you also stand a chance of damaging the squib ring! Then just wobble the wheel side to side, top to bottom and diagonally and eventually it'll just pop off. Then full undo the torx bolt and slide the wheel off slowly.

Also if i am reading your original post correctly, DO NOT hit the shaft inwards! Pull the wheel off.

Last edited:
As said. Don't completely remove torx bolt or when it does come free you'll rip the squip out too.
Just put it back in loosely, then pull as hard as you can. Use your foot as a brace next to the dashboard on the sill.

Clio Sport 182
May sound stupid but say you remove the steering wheel, do you have to remove the wiper and the indicator barrel aswell or is there anyway to keep it still?

Clio Sport 182
I haven't got the wheel yet I am looking into getting one but it am not entirely sure which one to get tbh so yeah, any suggestions? I was just looking into how easy it is to change before I do it, that's all :D

I haven't got the wheel yet I am looking into getting one but it am not entirely sure which one to get tbh so yeah, any suggestions? I was just looking into how easy it is to change before I do it, that's all :D

It's not very hard at all. Just fiddly trying to get the standard air bag clips off.

So if you have, say, a sabelt wheel with no airbag, the car thinks you have an airbag in, thus removing the airbag warning light

im 99% sure anyhoos

So why am I reading about putting a resistor on the airbag what is this about :O

That's something completely different lol. Nothing to do with removing the steering wheel. That's about fitting an after market one.

Obviously there is no air bag on 'most' after market wheels. So there is no where to plug the standard air bag connections in. Therefore the air bag light will be on the dash. To get round this you do need to add a resistor onto the connections to trick the computer into thinking the air bag is still there basically.

Something along those lines anyway. I'm actually in the process of doing this myself. Although the light on the dash doesn't bother me too much as I already have loads lit.

Clio Sport 182
That's something completely different lol. Nothing to do with removing the steering wheel. That's about fitting an after market one.

Obviously there is no air bag on 'most' after market wheels. So there is no where to plug the standard air bag connections in. Therefore the air bag light will be on the dash. To get round this you do need to add a resistor onto the connections to trick the computer into thinking the air bag is still there basically.

Something along those lines anyway. I'm actually in the process of doing this myself. Although the light on the dash doesn't bother me too much as I already have loads lit.
And is it fairly easy to sort out, with your steering wheel as in did you buy a kit and it all came with?

I bought a Sabelt wheel and part of the kit was an air bag resistor. I can't comment on other kits obviously. I'll be looking to buy another couple of resistors at some point anyway though too.

In regards to fitting the wheel. It was all very easy yes. The hardest bit was un-clipping the bloody standard air bag clips, and that's not hard, just fiddly.

Clio Sport 182
I bought a Sabelt wheel and part of the kit was an air bag resistor. I can't comment on other kits obviously. I'll be looking to buy another couple of resistors at some point anyway though too.

In regards to fitting the wheel. It was all very easy yes. The hardest bit was un-clipping the bloody standard air bag clips, and that's not hard, just fiddly.
And did you need to buy a boss kit with that or did you just fit it straight on?