ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL + AIR BAG LIGHT

Lionel Richie

Any ideas on how to remove the steering wheel on a dynamique??? plus anyone got any bright ideas about the airbag light????

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 04 August 2003

Any ideas on how to remove the steering wheel on a dynamique???
Very carefully...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

why and further more why.

it can be done surely by fooling the ecu into thinking its still connected.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Fred has a nice pink fluffy steering wheel!! with matching furry dice.. gona look wicked at donny south

Lionel Richie

erm, ive removed it, really easy actuallly!!!! Black Fox, what do you mean by getting it locked???

Lionel Richie

Well, the air bag comes off as one part (you know the horn bit you press)then once thats out the way youre left with just the wheel and no air bag/horn. The wheel is easy to remove (i took this off too, to remove the air bag wires) all you need is a T40 torx bit and youre done!!!!!

Renault Laguna Sports

If u dont get the air bag computor locked b 4 u remove there is always the chance that it could go off. It seems that u were lucky.

Lionel Richie

how can the airbag go off if the battery is disconnected?????

CraigM clockspring???? whats that then?????

Ad

MK2 FRS

Yeah I thought if you disconnected the battery for longer than 30mins then the airbags wont activate. My mates looking to swap his. What have you put on Fred??? Whats the insurance said???

Clio Sport S

changing the steering wheel for a non-airbag unit is easy.

1. Quit the airbag fuse. A 10 min wait is recommended (airbags are designed to ignite at low voltage)

2. Lock the steering wheel at 90º and use a screwdriver or similar with the two metal locks on the back of steering wheel.

3. Extract the airbag, disconnecting the 3 contact cables : 2 for airbag, 1 for horn

4. Now you can quit the steering wheel using the T40 torx, and put the new hub and steering wheel (momo rules!)

5. Place a 2.5 ohm resistor in each airbag cable. This makes the cPU think airbag is OK. Otherwise, ALL airbags and pretensioners refuse to co-operate

6. Remember to return the airbag fuse ! ;)

7. Be careful with the removed airbag. Its a charged bomb !

sorry for my english; Im spanish :oops:

http://rt001wz3.eresmas.net/Pics/Ceferino/prov/volante_momo1.jpg

Lionel Richie

Nice!!!! exactly how i did it!!!! didnt know about the resistors though, cheers for that vital bit of info, those lights on the dash are really annoying me!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 11 August 2003

CraigM clockspring???? whats that then?????
The clockspring is the electrical conection (for airbag and horn, cruise control etc) from the car to the steering wheel - it is basically a long piece of wire coiled up like a clockspring hence its name - and it allows the steering wheel to turn from lock to lock with a perfect electrical conection. The problem is if its position is lost in relation to the steering then you will either snap the wire on full lock, or you will be putting it under more stress and it will eventually fail.

It is also a common reason why airbag lights come on shortly after major work has been done to the steering (like fitting a new steering rack) and the garage havent locked it in position.

There is some info here:

http://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/techinfo/articles/article4.htmhttp://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/techinfo/articles/article4.htm

thanks catkiller that was a really clear explanation of how to do it...why dont we put that information on the how-to page!

Mk5 R32 (ex.182 (Cupped))

Quote: Originally posted by SOAPSUDS on 24 August 2003

Sorry. What does the resistor help with. does it stop current flowing?

"This makes the cPU think airbag is OK. Otherwise, ALL airbags and pretensioners refuse to co-operate"

Ure pretensioners wont work...