ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel jumps around when road has bit of camber SOLVED

As above really, can be driving along the road in a straight line and when the surface changes sometimes or when there's a bump or bit of camber, I find myself wrestling with the steering wheel to keep it in a straight line. Not noticed this on any of my other cars. I know one of my track rod ends has a very slight amount of play in it. Any ideas?

RS6 C7
Re: Steering wheel jumps around when road has bit of camber

Sounds daft but have you checked your tyre pressures?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Track rod end sounds most likely. Get them both done and tracking reset and it will drive lovely again.

Tyre pressures are fine, good call though.

I've had the tracking done (granted, a track rod end has a touch of play) and it did nothing tbh! He said it was toe-ing in quite a bit before he did it, and it's fine now... but it feels the same to drive.

172 Cup

Too much camber would do this, do you have camber readings from the alignment? The difference between -0.5 and -1.0 degrees is noticeable. Turn in is better, but you compromise the cars sensitivity to imperfections and the crown of the road.

It was just the tracking I had done, I didn't receive a printout as I didn't have the camber and stuff looked at (suspension is standard). The steering does tend to centre itself along a straight road if turned and let go of.

172 Cup

Do you have camber bolts fitted, or is the car very low? If you have neither then try the track rod ends next.

172 Cup

Sorry, just read that your suspension is standard. Are the front dampers in good order?

As far as I know yep. Could the track rod ends be causing this problem then?

172 Cup

If they have play, then best to get them changed, only way to find out.

Unless you can live with it.

Been living with it for the time being but have no confidence chucking the car around corners etc., just annoying me now!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

At the risk of repeating myself, you need to change the track rod ends.

I only asked again Daniel because if I hadn't mentioned it in the first post, I fear nobody would have suggested the track rod ends and it could be something else.

Suzuki Jimny

Checked the rear shocks? Mine went a bit like this when I had a dead rear shock.

clio 172

As above really, can be driving along the road in a straight line and when the surface changes sometimes or when there's a bump or bit of camber, I find myself wrestling with the steering wheel to keep it in a straight line. Not noticed this on any of my other cars. I know one of my track rod ends has a very slight amount of play in it. Any ideas?

sorry to dig up old threads... but did U ever get this sorted?

matt

clio 172

yep car is standard, and put brand new rear shocks on yesterday...

My car is standard yes. I haven't got it sorted yet, but I've not had time. Will update when I've had it checked!

clio 172

My car is standard yes. I haven't got it sorted yet, but I've not had time. Will update when I've had it checked!

mine is standard too.. that would be great if U could keep me updated.. I'm going to get my tracking/alignment and track rod ends checked next weekend.

"Navy" N17 TWO

I got my alignment done on Thursday, steering wheel is still off-centre on a straight flat road :S

I had that happen, took it back and told them they didn't clamp the steering wheel properly and they re-did it for me.

Fred had a look at my track rod ends and inner rods, they all need replacing. That's what was causing it and it was getting worse over time!

Iceberg 2002 172
Hi i am having what feels like the same problem on my 172, had the wheels off and when moving the hubs i noticed the play seemed to come not from the track rod ends but from further on in. car feels horrific to drive and wanders like hell. just cruising everywhere at 45-50mph at the moment as i have no confidence in it!

Could you please tell me what parts were required to fix it and if it was a big job?

Matt.

EDIT: would these be the bits that i need? and how would i know if my car has the SMI steering system?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-INNER-T...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35aec8609e

Last edited:
  clio 172
just a quick update, had my tracking/alignment done last weekend and it was out "big time"
The car now drive's loads better, but i don't feel its 100% as it should be... track rod ends all seem OK,
My next step is a new set of tyres.. as the current one are only budgets..

Mine's going to Fred on Sunday so I'll report back what the outcome is. It's definitely getting worse...

Seat Ibiza
Mine was a rear shock seized, only found out due to trying to fit my ARB and I tried lifting the shock back up and it was lifting the whole car. Not good!

Hopefully Fred will sort it, sure he will!

Just to add to this, I've got the same problem as the OP said. Checked it today at the garage and the drivers track rod had 2-3mm play, about 1mm on the passenger side. Its booked in to be done just after christmas now.

Got the tie rods and track rod ends replaced, there was a lot of play in them. Now, they are completely fine and the car is how it should be. No steering jumping around or anything :)