ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel click after changing.

172 FF
I changed my 172 steering wheel a few weeks ago as the rubber grips had totally gone & it looked messy.
I had to bash the wheel off as it was pretty tightly fit & the black plastic insert behind it came off along with the coiled wire.
Well I fully unwound the wire & fed it all back in nicely, then when I put the black plastic thing back I noticed there was this little black cog wheel in the bottom right corner. I am unsure what this thing is supposed to do, as it's nothing to do with the indicator turn off switch which is white & at the left side. I didn't know which way the cog was supposed to be either so I just left it how it was, but now when I do a full lock turn something is clicking & I think it's this cog catching on the black plastic insert.

Anyone know what this cog does? can I just take it off?
Or anything else that could be making the clicking.

172 FF
Is there supposed to be a spring between the wheel & the plastic insert behind it? I've took it apart now about 10 times & something just doesn't seem right. Maybe there are different versions of the steering wheel?

When mine is assembled there is a gap between the plastic insert & the back of the wheel, so what stops the insert moving backwards & forwards? & if it is supposed to be able to move forward then I can't see how it can turn the indicators off :/

172 FF
you obviously didnt' take it off properly, having to bash it off.

It was a pretty snug fit so I had to give it a bit of persuasion. I didn't hit it with a hammer or anything.

And no the airbag lights aren't on.
I've taken the thing off a few times now to figure out what the problem is.
I have found what is making the clicking noise, which is this little cog thing. It seems to do nothing, but now I took it off the indicators don't switch off :/
I put the cog back & the indicators still didn't switch off.
There seems to be a gap of say 5-10mm between this black plastic thing & the back of the wheel when it's fitted.
I've stripped all the dash parts down around the wheel & everything is fitted correctly, so I am at a loss to what is wrong now.

Atm it's not clicking but the indicators don't turn off automatically when going round corners. And yes the wheel is fully on as far as it will go & the torx bolt is tight.
I just wondered if there is some spring or something supposed to go behind the wheel to push that plastic part back enough to engage the indicator switch, or is there not supposed to be a gap.