ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STEERING VIBRATION (Not balancing) 172 Cup

clio 172 cup
I have a slight vibration that feels as though my wheels are out of balance at around 80mph.

They definately aren't imbalanced (or buckled) as it did this on my last set of tyres too.
Have swapped them about, replaced the brake discs (and pads).
Just bought 4 new tyres (Yok Paradas) and its still the same.

I'm thinking possibly wheel bearings need replacing.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks, Daz

RS RIP
just got done on mine, it was a pain in the arse. With mine they changed the back tyres to front/ vice versa. Afterwards the car drove like $#@%^$%^ and had it re-alligned (?) or tracked, you know, with the laserstuff...

car was still terrible, now i have thrown all four tires out (Toyo Prox) , got new Exaltos and ANOTHER allignement and the car is good now, also thanks to Edde

I think you should have a look as well at the tracking/allignement first

clio 172 cup
Alignment would possibly make the car unstable or wander, but I would have thought unlikely that it would cause the steering wheel to shake?

Daz

clio 172 cup
Think its the front wheel bearings, slight movement top and bottom and side to side when jacked up.

How much are they to replace, or are they similar to the rear ones which are fairly easy.

Thanks,
Daz

Get the tracking checked and if its still there get it checked at another gargea.
There are loads (mianly big garages) who cannot setup a car correctly a cheap set of tools and you can do it yourself better than most places will with lazers etc.

Think its the front wheel bearings, slight movement top and bottom and side to side when jacked up.

How much are they to replace, or are they similar to the rear ones which are fairly easy.

Get the tracking checked first.

More diffiuclt to replace than the fornt need to take the hub off.

The Cups are supseptable to poor suspension camber etc.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hmmm i get this too, and had them balanced up by different places too!What i've noticed is that if the steering is straight @ 80 ish, i get the vibration etc, but then if i'm going into a sweeping bend for instance it stops..... :S

driveshaft i thought, but havent got any usual clunking/clicking on lock, or any other symptoms. I'll see what happens when i change tyres, might change to the pe2's

RS RIP
i also had the vibrating when car was not tracked good. When curving no vibrations.
I had the man put the wheels a little bit "toe-in" , wheels pointing towrds eachother slightly and now the car's a beauty to drive.

Outside of the tyres are going to wear a bit faster than the rest though .... ahh well...

hmmm i get this too, and had them balanced up by different places too!What i've noticed is that if the steering is straight @ 80 ish, i get the vibration etc, but then if i'm going into a sweeping bend for instance it stops..... :S

driveshaft i thought, but havent got any usual clunking/clicking on lock, or any other symptoms. I'll see what happens when i change tyres, might change to the pe2's

Get the tracking checked elsewhere or do it yourself.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
more balance related i feel (the steering wheel is giving the symptoms) but the wheels have been balanced at a garage and tweeks, and it still does it

iv only just brought mine and get exactly the same problem, iv had new tyres all round and still doin it but only at about 80 when not accelerating, i was thinkin maybe it was the bearings or drive shaft, well if ya find out can ya let me no. and ill do the same.

clio 172 cup
I can't see the logic in getting the tracking done yet, as this is unlikely to be the cause of vibration, even if it is out.

Besides, if the front wheels are wobbling around or has slight movement, how can the tracking be set up accurately?

As there is very slight movement in the bearing I think it best to eliminate this first and then see. This could possibly cause some unwanted movement of the wheel and hence vibration.

And from what I've been told, Clio's do have a bit of an appetite for em.
Get the tracking checked afterwards.

Daz