ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack manufacturer indentification

172, VX220t, Westfield se
Hi All,

I need to order new steering rack mounting rubbers, but when i phoned the local renault dealers they said there are three different rack manufacturers and I need to tell them which type it is as they are different. I've got the car up on ramps now, but can't see any manufacturer identification or logo on the rack.

Does any one know how to tell them apart or find the logo on the different racks please?

Apparently the possible manufacturers are: KO, SMI or TRW.

Thanks,

Kirk

SMI Rack has a sticker on it like this:

SDC18754.jpg

Also has other stamps, but you wont be able to see them while its on the car.

Thanks for quick replies. It hasn't got a sticker, but I guess that probably would have come off years ago.

Jon, have you got any more photos of the SMI rack please? If you have it would be good to see them and see if it looks the same as the one on my car.

If not I'll just go for the SMI ones as per Chips advice.

Cheers,

Kirk

Thanks for the photos Jon and to Fred for confirming. I'll get the mounts ordered tomorrow.

The steering isn't as direct as it should be and on inspection the rack is moving a few mm, so i'm looking forward to getting the new mounts on and get the car driving as it should again.

This is a great forum some very good information on here.

Cheers,

Kirk

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for the photos Jon and to Fred for confirming. I'll get the mounts ordered tomorrow.

The steering isn't as direct as it should be and on inspection the rack is moving a few mm, so i'm looking forward to getting the new mounts on and get the car driving as it should again.

This is a great forum some very good information on here.

Cheers,

Kirk

Totally transformed my car, but mine was VERY bad before, this is how much the rack moved:

th_IMG_0269.jpg

Afterwards it felt like a new car, as I had already replaced, wishbone bushes, track rod ends, top mounts, shocks, track rods anyway, but until the rack mounts were done it still felt terrible.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
When changing the track rods do you need to buy anything else such as gators when you replace them?

Renault Clio Super 1600
Does anyone know where you could get a reasonable priced left hand drive rack. Renault want a FORTUNE!!!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Nope

But do the rod ends at same time before you get it tracked.

Ye I'm changing all concerned connecting parts at once bar the passenger side drive shaft, ARB itself and the steering rack on the front, as I want the new car feel back lol

Worth doing the wheel bearing at the same time?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ye I'm changing all concerned connecting parts at once bar the passenger side drive shaft, ARB itself and the steering rack on the front, as I want the new car feel back lol

Worth doing the wheel bearing at the same time?

I would only do if you can detect some play

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I have reason to suspect my wheel bearings are gone on the front. How could I tell if they are or not, Chip?

Jack the car up and see if there is any play.

Or if there is a particular type of noise on cornering (hard to explain noises in type, lol) normally it will be louder going one way that the other as it loads the bearings up differently.

Doubt its them then. I basically have a knocking form the front end (both left and right sides) when moving slowly over bumpy ground. I've changed, TRE's/ball joints/inner tie rods. I put solid top mounts on to try and see if it went, but the noise was amplified. So I'm stuck as to what it is. Next I'm changing the entire rack.