ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack creaking/knocking

Renault Clio 172
Hi peeps iv just bought a 182 cup packed clio, its got a knocking/ creaking noise when i turn the steering wheel left to right, its got an advisory for the steering rack gator being split on the mot. Can i just replace the gator and regrease etc or do i need a new steering rack??

Thanks Rich

Renault Clio 172
No defo not the top mounts, had that problem before. It does it when the cars stationary and you can feel it through the steering wheel and hear it down by my feet, not nice!
Cheers for the info buddy

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
No defo not the top mounts, had that problem before. It does it when the cars stationary and you can feel it through the steering wheel and hear it down by my feet, not nice!
Cheers for the info buddy 
I had some very similar noises, Torqued up the rack mount bolts and all is well. They were not loose, just not quite tight enough. I would try this first.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Changing the gaitor isnt going to fix a problem caused by a split in one, if its split it allows water in which washes out the grease and allows the joint to wear excessively, put a new gaitor on after that is like shutting the stable door after the horse has already bolted!

Check your rack bushes have no play (need to look while someone rocks the steering, you will see the rack move if you have an issue)

Renault Clio 172
Had the car up on a ramp today and the rack was loose, the bolts were done up but the damage has been done!! Its worn the bushes out the noise is not as bad but still there never the less.
I rung renault and they said as its a cup 182 you can only buy the whole steering rack joint! They dont just sell the bushes. Dose anyone know if thats right? As the guy on the phone sounded like he had never even seen a car part let alone give me parts advise lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The bushes come with the metal clamps and a new bolt.

25 quid ish each iirc

or you can buy Powerflex ones for less. I bought a set for our 182 but then converted to EPAS which doesn't have the bushes so if you get stuck I can dig them out and post them to you for a fiver less than new price.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
When you say you rang Renault, who did you actually ring?
im pretty sure separate rack bushes are available, and also updated ones are too.

Renault Clio 172
Just looked on ebay and there is a genuine one on there for £26 steering rack bush kit.
I just didnt want to just start buying bits willi nilly if there was a certain bit i needed!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Contact Renault Wolverhampton on here for any genuine Renault parts that you need.

CursedTitanium 182FF
Steering rack bush part Number: R77 00 784 171 You will need two (2) They are £7.91 each from Adam at Renault Wolverhampton: 01902 439500, a trader on here.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
was just having a read through here. Seems like the issue I have. How much labour are we talking to fit powerflex bushes?