ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steering noise (click/clunk)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Well I have K-Tec coilies and top mounts in mine, have had for a while now and no problems apart from the odd bong/twang from the spring at first.
Got an inner track rod on the passenger side fitted & alignment done before christmas. Also had a PAS fluid leak from the top hose around this time too, but very quickly replaced and level kept topped up
(I hope it hasn't screwed the rack)

Waiting on a few bits coming in the post then I'm having the wishbones replaced + powerflex bushes to go into them too and the dogbone mount as it's starting to wear
Thinking of replacing the ARB bushes too, tighten up the front end

See how it goes from there I guess and I'm keen to find out what KielT finds

Arctic 182, GTD
I just wanna get my car in the garage now! Wanna see what it is lol I've got some vibratechnics engine mounts coming on Sunday now aswell so if it is down to them I've got that covered. I think it is something to do with the rack tho, as it's bolted to the subframe. But will have to see.

Arctic 182, GTD
8659372bc3d6eaa73489833f0f39bd6e.jpg

77a16898c71466f31499be07993f400a.jpg

Only two pics I could get quick. Not a lot to the steering tbh.lol

Arctic 182, GTD
Haha. Obv the pics show the different variants to the steering but that's alright. Got my car in tomorrow to try and find this clunk so hopefully it'll get sorted! Haha

Arctic 182, GTD
Right well had the car on the lift today and still kinda baffled, I bought some new springs however and while fitting them I have relished my top mounts are shagged so gonna be buying some new solis ones, just ain't decide which ones as yet. So this could be my noise, I still think there's something with the rack but I'm getting my vibratechnics engine mounts tomorrow and fitting them in the week so I'll report back after :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Fair play, sure keep us updated :) Seen threads about this before but there was no follow-up

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
^^^^ couldn't agree more please keep this updated .. After some more checks I'm narrowing it down to inner track rods..... Not good

Not sure If the noise I had on the 1.2 is the same as what your experiencing, I had it checked out and the mechanic said it sounded like something broken inside the rack, and i should live with it or change the rack over at exspense.

It came and went the noise I never found out what it was!

th_VID00004-20110430-1752-1.jpg

"Navy" N17 TWO
It may be the audio from the clip but mine sounds louder than that, although not as many clicks between lock-lock

PS - the steering seems so much lighter on that car!

It may be the audio from the clip but mine sounds louder than that, although not as many clicks between lock-lock

PS - the steering seems so much lighter on that car!

That's an electric rack.

I have a knocking coming from my rack, birchdown diagnosed it.

This is the noise it made when wiggling the wheel from left to right:

Last edited by a moderator:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah that's similar to mine, only not as frequent (need to move my wheel quite a lot to get the noise)

Did Birchdown come up with a solution for it?

Arctic 182, GTD
That's not like mine but that sounds like the top mounts, I might have to try and get a video now lol

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
That's an electric rack.

I have a knocking coming from my rack, birchdown diagnosed it.

This is the noise it made when wiggling the wheel from left to right:

Mine sounds exactly like that... How do know if I have an electric steering rack m8

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's similar to mine, only not as frequent (need to move my wheel quite a lot to get the noise)

Did Birchdown come up with a solution for it?

Replace the Steering rack, I have a brand new one sat in the garage waiting to go on when I find time to book it into Birchdown.

That's not like mine but that sounds like the top mounts, I might have to try and get a video now lol

It's not top mounts. Replaced them for knew ones, tired the washer trick, even tried STM's and was still there. You can feel the knock in the footwell too.

Mine sounds exactly like that... How do know if I have an electric steering rack m8

You wont. ALL Sports came with an hydraulic rack. Electric racks only came on non-sports, which is what the car was in the video above.

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
Ahh rite cheers for that ... Am gunna have to get on the hunt for 1 as its been like this for a while now , would you attempt this kinda job ur self or just take it to the garage

Ahh rite cheers for that ... Am gunna have to get on the hunt for 1 as its been like this for a while now , would you attempt this kinda job ur self or just take it to the garage

No chance I'd do it myself. You've got to drop the subframe, Book time is 4hours for this. If you've not got a lift, I wouldn't bother.

FYI, its £360 for a service exchange rack from Renault. £550ish for a brand new one from renault. Then you've got fitting on top.

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
Shite ..lol am gunna try n sweet the guys up over the road then cheers for the advice m8 and hope urs goes in all ok and stops t.he noise