ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering knock/clunk

Clio 182 Cup
Had this for months now, when rocking the steering left to right only 5 - 10% past centre each side Im hearing and feeling a knock/clunking through both footwells.

I've replaced all with new parts, tie rod ends, ball joints, top mounts and now new steering arms and its still there.

Also when driving if I go over any bump in the road there is a dull rattle from the left side.

Any help please?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Had similar problem.. clunking over uneven ground. Was tie rods and Anti roll bar links had them replaced and all was fine. Then had steering aligned and they didn't tighten the adjuster bolts back up so the noise came back, had them tightened and the noise has now gone.

Liquid Yellow 1.5DCi
Universal joint on the bottom of the steering column maybe? Mine was like that, and was giving the feel like the track rod ends were shot. But after changing the inner track rods and track rod ends was still clunking as you rock the steering/go over bumps. So I pulled the rubber boot up from the footwell, and as you rock the steering you can see the play in the joint. Right pain in the arse to change, but after steering felt nice and tight again.

197 ultra red
Universal joint on the bottom of the steering column maybe? Mine was like that, and was giving the feel like the track rod ends were shot. But after changing the inner track rods and track rod ends was still clunking as you rock the steering/go over bumps. So I pulled the rubber boot up from the footwell, and as you rock the steering you can see the play in the joint. Right pain in the arse to change, but after steering felt nice and tight again.

What was the cost of this? as mine is doing the exact same as described

Liquid Yellow 1.5DCi
When I called Renault they quoted me £199 pluss vat just for the part as it comes as a complete steering column, they won't sell the u/j separately. Yours maybe different price as mine is a dci and has electronic power steering pump under the steering wheel, so I'd imagine the column is different.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
mines going into renotech chelsmford tonight for them to looking into the same noise on my 182