ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering issue 182

Ok the steering on my 182 doesn't feel right. It seems very keen to change direction when going over bump, white lines etc. also when pressing on you have to fight to keep the wheel straight. At the same time the steering feels floaty. Sorry only way I can describe it.

I checked the steering rack bushes last weekend and theirs doesn't appear to be any play.

I jacked one side of the car up and I could rock the wheel at the 9-3 position. But after looking at the steering wheel it was moving. Should that be right considering the other side is on the floor?

The only other think I can think of is removing the outer track rods and check for play. I did replace both the inner and outera 2 years ago which did appear to solve the issue.

Anything else I can check?

Also thinking of having the tracking checked.

Any help appreciated.

Weathers bad today so doesn't look like I'll get a chance to look.

Just did I little 2nd gear WOT with no hands. Car pulled to the left by half a lane. Also tried to pull back right about a 1/4 of a lane.

When driving the steering feels less weight turn left. Turning right feels fine.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
In post one you said you replaced the track rod ends and that solved the issue, do that.

Clio 172
I had this issue for 2 months and no one could find the problem until I took it to rentec, it was a ball joint. Now it drives like new !!.

Well thought I'd update in case other have the same issue.

Order 2 new ball joints from ECP are researching the correct part number. Fitted the drivers side one first as this was the side it would pull too.

Any just took it out and the issue seems to have been resolved. :) started the passenger side now. Cars done 90k so no harm replacing. Checked the track rods while doing it and they seem fine. Replaced about 15k ago.

Will finished the passenger side tomorrow.

I do still feel turning right has more resistance than turning left. No idea what that might be. Unless fishing the passenger side resolves this.

Clio 172
Well thought I'd update in case other have the same issue.

Order 2 new ball joints from ECP are researching the correct part number. Fitted the drivers side one first as this was the side it would pull too.

Any just took it out and the issue seems to have been resolved. :) started the passenger side now. Cars done 90k so no harm replacing. Checked the track rods while doing it and they seem fine. Replaced about 15k ago.

Will finished the passenger side tomorrow.

I do still feel turning right has more resistance than turning left. No idea what that might be. Unless fishing the passenger side resolves this.

i also had the same problem after changing them and that soon turned out to be my break caliper was sticking a bit n the right and that fixed it.