ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering column seal

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
What a horrible job, still the new one is now fitted and it all works fine. But I am wondering, does the big rubber flappy thing need to form a good seal with the bulkhead?

dan's cast offs.
if you want to stop water, smells and noise then has to be in place.

horrible job though!!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
It looks well enough on now, but I'm planning to take the engine out anyway in a few weeks for a gearbox swop plus other essentials so it'll do for the time being. It was a horrible job though.

dan's cast offs.
it's probably the only job i hate doing on them, can be an absolute nightmare sometimes!!

I sprayed a bit of aerosol grease (G90) on the boot itself and grabbed it with both hands and twisted it back and forth and it popped in, had a feel from the front to make sure it was all in place, as said, total arse of a job

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I thought afterwards that I could have fitted the seal first then shoved the column through it, but it was a right arse getting it onto the rack so this might not of worked (plus I was lying on my back under the car or lying upside down in the foot well!). Had to be done though the one I took off, all the ball bearings fell out.
Cheers