ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering column lower universal joint boot/gaiter removal

I'm trying to get this boot off to have a look at the universal joint at the moment on my 182, but it's bloody tough. I've got the flap which sits on the bulkhead up, but then the actual boot which houses the joint refuses to budge.

I've done a search on threads where the joint's been welded, and everyone just says "lift it up"! Anybody got any tips please?

Yeah, the lower universal joint that mates to the rack. It's hidden by the rubber bell-shaped boot in the footwell right? I've read a lot of people weld them because the joint degrades, I'm just trying to get a look in but can't get past the boot!

SQ5
The welding procedure was only in the Mk1 Clio and further up the column.

The boot at the bottom is best removed from underneath as it folds outside of the car.

I was just having a looksie really. I tried holding the column by the splined shaft above the black boot, and turning the steering wheel, and there's no slack, which is why I thought it might be the lower joint.

Will get round to the checking the suspension when it's a bit drier!

SQ5
By top bearing I mean the one in the column, it's right behind the steering wheel.

Take steering wheel off and you will be able to move the shaft around slightly I imagine. This should be solid.

Cheers, can I check the integrity of the joint without fiddling with the steering wheel, or do I need a second pair of hands?