ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering angle sensor issue

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
On a 182. SERV and traction light comes on as soon as I move the wheel away from the centre position. All the lights go off when the car starts up and it works fine but as soon as the steering wheel is moved the lights come on. Any ideas what would be causing this?

When I dropped the subframe to change the clutch a while back, the column came apart on the splined section in the driver footwell, so I assumed the angle sensor wasn't centred. Took the wheel off, put the sensor back to centre (yellow dot in top left corner) but I'm still getting the same problem. The fact it's picking up the movement in the steering wheel and bringing the light on says to me it's still working, but I checked the angle reading on a snap-on diag machine and it's showing 8198 degrees constantly. Unsure if it's just a case of the snap-on machine not reading the data properly though.

Clio 182 FF
The column is probably 360 degrees out of centre. Just disconnect the column and with snap on reading steering angle position turn steering wheel until you get zero degrees, the steering wheel should now be central. With wheels dead centre reconnect the column

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The column is probably 360 degrees out of centre. Just disconnect the column and with snap on reading steering angle position turn steering wheel until you get zero degrees, the steering wheel should now be central. With wheels dead centre reconnect the column

Already had the steering wheel off and turned the angle sensor back 360 degrees to centre (it was indeed one turn out) but that didn't make a difference. Assuming that has the same effect as rotating the whole column anyway, as there's no other sensors I know of that detect the position.

It's detecting steering movement somehow as it's still throwing up the error as soon as the steering wheel is moved, so I doubt the angle sensor is totally gubbed. I'm not sure if it can sense movement from the steering rack or somewhere else though...