ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Problems...

Iceberg 172
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is in the right section but... This is a bit of a long winded story so apologies...

About a week ago i pulled up in a petrol station, turned off the engine but left the lights on as I was just running inside to get cigarettes. Car was sat for maybe 3 mins.

Got in, went to start it up but it just clicked and it sounded like all the relays were clicking, it didn't start. Tried again and it fired up. This reset all my trip computer but nothing else. Didn't think anything of it.

Then yesterday I was parked up talking on the phone and I turned the engine off as the conversation was getting long. Again my lights were on and it probably sat there for about 20 minutes. Tried to start it and all the relays were clicking and evrything had reset including the trip comp and the clock (not the radio presets). Luckily I was parked on a bit of a hill and I managed to bump start it easily.

After 30 seconds and a few blips of the throttle I turned it off and on again and it was fine.

Left it over night and went out at 2pm today, and same thing... not starting and all the relays are just clicking.

30 minute drive and I turned it off and back on, all was fine. My uncle came out (went to my uncles for coffee) and my Battery was basically dry so he got the special Water out and put it on charge. It did start up fine then.

My only query is, can it be the Battery? Because everything electrical is working even when it's not starting, ie, all the dash lights are on fine, the stereo comes on etc etc.

Could it be that there's enough power for all of that but just not to turn the engine over???

I don't mind running down to Halfords to get a new battery, I just wanted to check to see if it could be something else like a dodgy Earth (although no fuses are blown and everything is working), frozen starter motor????? Also, the first occurence I had driven for about 5 mins then stopped for 2-3 mins with the lights on and then it wouldn't start but then it did so surely that can't be flat battery!??!??!??!? I'm confused!!!!

Thanks for reading my essay!

Iceberg 172
Hi Beef (Sorry, don't know your real name!).

Mee too, although there's things that are a bit random.

For example, if it was a flat battery then why is it so temperemental, ie, not starting but then 5 seconds later it starts????

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Its the battery mate when they first start to go it will start and just reset your trip computer still starts fine thou swop your battery mate if you aint already after todays weather !

Golf GTD Mk7
Sounds like battery. Cranking amps might be too low. Cold weather does start all these little issues :S.

Iceberg 172
Ok cool. We filled the battery up and charged it and it's started fine this morning.

But I'll change it anyway for peace of mind.

Thanks everyone!

deffo battery mate as even my odyssey race battery has sufferd as the fist night it got cold it had trouble starting, once the snow came my car wouldnt fire over at all. take it out and try charge it? or wrap it up in the engnie bay to keep it warm.

Iceberg 172
Right... Now it looks like it's the Starter Motor.

Put a new battery in and it did exactly the same thing as it was doing before.

I did think it could be something like a loose Earth Cable but apparently the Starter Motor is fooked too.

And getting to the Starter Motor is a P I G!!!!