ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problem

Clio Sport 172
Hi, problem started yesterday when I was at b&q, put the key in and all I got was a random clicking noise, anyhow after keeping the key turned for some time it fired to life but left these two lights on (see pic)

parked end up at home and tried it a few times randomly and it started first time. Got up this morning and it happend again, only took 10 seconds to start.

i will get a video when it next happens, anyone any ideas?

regards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 83
  Looking....
Same happened to me last night. After driving home from work, parked the car on the drive and left it. Around half hour later went to move it and had the loud clicking noise, lights on the dash come on and off as usual. Tried to bump start it and jump start from the mrs car but it wouldnt have it.
Quick search on here and armed with a braker bar i gave the starter motor a whack and it fired into life, fired up first time this morning too.
Might be worth checking.

Matt

182ff
Re: Starting problem

Yea I'm thinking starter motor like, silly question but where would I locate such device haha

when mine did this(clicking from passenger side ) it was the relays(brown ones). water gets in,just check them,one by one,give them a clean,check for green.. my was ok after that,,
6 months latter car wouldn't start a few times(no clicking just dead). then I wiggled the starter motor wires ,it started,

the starter motor is at the back of the engine, take your engine cover off ,look down in front on the manifold ..
its behind a heat shield..
I checked my contacts on it, have to take the drivers size wheel off ,if your stretch ,you can get at the spade contact and check the bolt contact..since I have done this cars been ok(touch wood).

Clio Sport 172
Gonna bleed the brakes tha morra so I'll have a look while the wheels off

appreciate your help folks

regards

Clio Dci
I had the same problem, mine was caused by the fuel pump relay not quite pushed in! It's located in the engine bay fuse box!

Clio Sport 172
just a quick update, car wont start at all now, starter motor clicks every now and again.

I have tried the spare key
I have checked the fuses for damp
I have earthed the battery with a jump lead
Visual check of TDC, looks fairly new (dosent mean much but looks ok)
I have also tried jump starting it off the wifes car with no joy.
I have Tapped the starter motor (not too hard its a t**t to get to)

Any more suggestions would be appreciated, i think i will try and get under the car tha morra and get hold of the starter motor connections.

Regards

Clio Sport 172
Tried to start it before I left for work last night, made a little video to see if anyone can confirm the problem before I attempt to remove the starter motor haha

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio Sport 172
Started after a couple of mins this morning, same old clicking, ran over to the garage and they seem to think its the starter motor too but are busy till next Tuesday, so out come the halfords pro tool kit and 3 hours later BOOM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 40
  Clio Sport 172
Quick update, starter motor came today so I poped it in and bolted everything back up, exactly the same :mad: Should have probably done this first but i went and bought a new battery, its currently on charge we will see how that fairs.

Slowly running out of ideas, any help would be appreciated,

Changed starter motor
Got a new battery (charging)
Immobiliser lights go out so can probably rule that out

Regards

clio dci , ren8
Poor engine earth can cause this . Try running a jump lead from the negative side of the battery _ to the engine block or gear box housing & see if it will start . If it does you just need to run a earth lead from the engine to the body or direct to the battery . Good luck !

Clio Sport 172
Thanks renmatt, I'm starting to think it's an earth fault now. Put a new fully charged battery in, cleaned the tdc sensor too to no avail. Checked the battery earth which the top of the bolt snapped off when I was removing it so relocated it and cleaned it.

Now the interiesting bit haha checked the earth strap under the wheel arch and it is rusted to bits, looks like it's been on the car from the start. Prodded it a few times and tried to start the car and one indicates started flashing, gear change light flashed and also the engine management came on for a bit lol I've took it off the car now and I'll order a new one see how that goes.

also gotta fault code reader orderd as a backup plan.

with the earth strap off the immobiliser seems to stay on, would this be normal?

regards

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Did you try earthing the battery to body as suggested before ordering a new earth? At least you will know that the new strap should fix the issue if it works.

Clio Sport 172
I did try earlier, just tried again, a bit stuck for places to clamp to on the body that isnt painted but managed to find a large nut to clamp to and it turned over normally :eek:) it would have fired i think if it was clamped in a better place and i kept at it.

So would this suggest there is an earth fault? any in particular? bearing in mind i have taken the wheel arch one completely off.

Regards