ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Problem

Evo 8 MR
Not sure if this has been posted before but basically when I try to start the engine it will just keep turning over but won't fire so I have to keep locking and unlocking the car and trying again to eventually get it to start and when I do it idles quite eratically.

I was told that it is a common problem and is something to do with wires rubbing against a tamper proof box so I got it tested by an auto electrician but it didn't come up with anything so I am now told take it to Renault and pay like £50 an hour for them to look at it but I can't afford to do that tbh so just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them?

My friend has the same model clio but his is a year newer and he doesn't seem to have any of these problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is the red light on the dahboard going out when you tyurn the key.

Try the other key.

The tamper proof box is a 1.2 probelm not a 1.6.

Evo 8 MR
Yep the light distinguishes after a few seconds as it should.

I've also tried both keys to no avail.

Really?

I've also just tried removing all fuses and lightly sanding them to remove any surface dust or debris not sure whether this will help though.

Evo 8 MR
The problem seems to be getting worse :(

Someone must know something?

Looks like bye bye clio.

Evo 8 MR
Just reset the battery and cleaned all the gunk off of the negative terminal and replaced the immobiliser fuse.

Just trial started it a couple of times and both times it fired up and sat at just over 1k rpm.

So fingers crossed now and hope the problem doesn't come back.

However if it does come back surely it points to a mechanical problem rather than electrical?

clio 172
This is quite interesting as my phase 2 172 has developed a starting issue. It doesnt do it all the time it did it yo me twice saturday and this morning takes a while to start. I ve done the coil pack and plugs but still does it now and then and has a low down misfire at low revs on light throttle. Let me know your thoughts guys. And is yours still ok Dynamique? When you say reset batter do you mean disconnected the battery for a few min to reset the ECU? to self learn map it?

Evo 8 MR
I've read somewhere that you have to disconnect it for about half an hour to do that I just disconnected it for a few minutes whilst I cleaned all the gunk off of it, then re-connected.

The problem is still there however as it has done it again since doing this but is not as bad as before.

I am taking the car in tomorrow morning so I will mention it to the mechanic whilst I am there about the TDC sensor.

Clio 1.2 16v dynamique
definatly TDC sensor same happened to me,there is a modified wiring peice you need now as they have changed the plug on the sensor.hope this helps

Evo 8 MR
Is there anyway to see if the TDC sensor is at fault?

The mechanic had another look but can't find anything wrong :(

Evo 8 MR
It seems to be starting up now on the first turn since I did the little battery thing and changed the fuse although I doubt it will be a permanant fix but at least I can now sell it!