ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter problem

RB Clio 182
Hey people, a few months a go my car wouldnt start, just clicking, i had a new starter fitted and all was hunky dory.

Yesterday i went to start the car and nothing apart from clicking from the relays and a louder click from which presumably is the starter?

Anyway i kept on trying for about 15 mins when eventually it started turning over but not starting, then eventually it started and ran fine, but as soon as you turn it off you have to repeat with the clicking, then the turning over, then it'll eventually start.

Any ideas? Its a brand new starter but could the earths be at fault or something?

997.1, Caddy, e208
To check earth's just run a jump lead from the negative terminal of the battery to the engine block.

RB Clio 182
Just been out to try it and it started up about ten times on the trot, so i couldnt try the jump lead method, f**king French electrics!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Daft question but is it missing the cover/heatshield ?

I've seen it mentioned previously that they're heat sensitive, and to be fair since I lost the one off mine the starter has gotten more and more problematic when starting

RB Clio 182
Daft question but is it missing the cover/heatshield ?

I've seen it mentioned previously that they're heat sensitive, and to be fair since I lost the one off mine the starter has gotten more and more problematic when starting
Im not sure buddy, ive had a turbo conversion done so im guessing it might have been removed, where is the starter located and where should the heat shield be mate?

Cheers.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Starter is tucked up under the exhaust manifold bud, well at least it is in a standard setup :wink: looks like this and clips onto the starter motor
Screenshot_20170409-210437.png

RB Clio 182
Im not sure where mine will be then lol, probably under the garrett, i have zero chance of being able to see under there tbh, i bet its heat related mate as it was in the 20's here yesterday.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Im not sure where mine will be then lol, probably under the garrett, i have zero chance of being able to see under there tbh, i bet its heat related mate as it was in the 20's here yesterday.
As you say, turbo might be in the way of this, but the starter/heatshield is on the back of the block underneath the manifold. If you look back there you should see that heat shield round the back of the block under the manifold.