ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard HU and amp.

Hero Spec Nimbus 200
Hi all, need some advice of the audio experts.

Basically, i've just bought some hertz esk 130 components and im going to purchase an amp to run them.
Now when i wire in the amp, ill be using a line level converter because i want to keep the standard HU.
I havent got the line converter yet, but just wandering if anyone has any previous experience of using them? and how they work, i.e do they take the two wires which go to a door speaker, then the two which go to a tweeter and an earth?

Much appreciated i need to try get my head around it.

Cheers Simon.

Nimbus R27
search for re-q5. These are soo much better than line level converters. More tweakable, give you a remote turn on lead for your amp, and will give you far better SQ. They also compensate for bass roll-off that standard headunits produce to protect the paper factory speakers.

Bit pointless purchasing an amp and good quality speakers to beef up an already poor signal from the stereo but anyway just make sure you purchase an amp with a high level input instead so you havent the need to purchase a LOC

Iceberg 172
MT AUDIO - I've been planning for ages (since I got my Clio!) to do exactly what this guy wants to do... Amp running from STD HU powering a sub and front components.

I've never actually heard a system like this though.

Is it pointless?? I don't want to upgrade the HU as I like the look of the standard one also I want to keep the LCD display etc.

Will it just sound s**t?

Vauxhall Frontera
Steve,

just a small input if you are thinking about replacing your HU and not wanting to lose the LCD display, ive just bought an Alpine HU that feeds info to the LCD Display and works with the steering wheel stalk controller via an adaptor cable. I was like you, didn't want to lose functionality but there are units out there that integrate well. In addition it has 3 sets of pre-outs for lots of expandibility.

Si

Iceberg 172
Steve,

just a small input if you are thinking about replacing your HU and not wanting to lose the LCD display, ive just bought an Alpine HU that feeds info to the LCD Display and works with the steering wheel stalk controller via an adaptor cable. I was like you, didn't want to lose functionality but there are units out there that integrate well. In addition it has 3 sets of pre-outs for lots of expandibility.

Si

Thanks Si. It's more the look though... I really really hate the look of after market headunits. I like double din touch screen's but anything else imo looks pish.