ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STandard Back Box and WHining noise from Engine

Right...

2 questions....

I have a whining noise from the engine, seems to be coming from front left looking at the engine bay... doesn't really go away... doesn't seem to be causing any problems...

Its engine/belt related- is power steering pump there?? a problem?? known issues???

Standard back box- gotta use the clio on the road hate the noise of the after market one- who's cheapest for a back box or how much to pay 2nd hand? or can the 182 back box be adapted as I have my old one still.

Jake

Could be Aux belt/tensioner making the noise.

Doubt the 182 exhaust will fit. Gsf will be cheapest for exhaust. Going there tomorrow to get some oil and rear pads. Gimmie a shout if you want the exhaust at trade price from gsf.

Fred is based in Solihull and is a Renault guru. PM him for advice. He'll probably be able to do the work too.

I'll have to pop down for a price then.... lovely...

As I am driving it daily I do need this whining noise to go away, might have a word with Fred....

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Got the exact same thing happening with mine, I'm booked in 1st with Fred lol. He advised me not to use the car, bit of a b**ch as I work 28-80miles away depending on the day, but big bills if it lets go.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The noise I'm getting actually sounds louder from outside the car than when the engine bays open, high pitch whine, goes up with the revs, sounds a bit like the power steering on a new mini

Sounds like power steering pump on mine if I honest... and she did a track day at donno the other week and prob 1000 miles with me at the wheel now and it hasn't got any worse or owt.

I am just pissed off with the noise.

J

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Sounds like power steering pump on mine if I honest... and she did a track day at donno the other week and prob 1000 miles with me at the wheel now and it hasn't got any worse or owt.

I am just pissed off with the noise.

J
Exactly the same thing that happened to mine, track day then the whining appeared a few days later. I'd get it checked before using it much, £1k repair bill if the belt goes pop.

No mate, I brought it like this and have done the track day since.

I'm really not arsed in the slightest I just want to know what it is and get it fixed.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No mate, I brought it like this and have done the track day since.

I'm really not arsed in the slightest I just want to know what it is and get it fixed.
Brave lol! From what I remember (I know very little about engine's), reckons its the idler bearing, quite a common fault. Said if I was unlucky aux belt comes off, cambelt comes off, bent valves etc. Either repair at that point (1k-ish) or get a 2nd hand engine to drop in (£900+). The noise I'm getting is drivers side of the engine, loudest if you listen near the wheel arch.