ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squealing brakes.

JDB

Clio 1.2 16v
My brakes squeal when travelling slowly and brakes applied lightly. Was wondering whether it would be brakepads or what not, so is there any advice before i book it into a garage. Brakes work fine just annoying. Also read something about brakedust so if there is anything I can do myself to try and fix it before paying garage prices. Thanks.

i have exactly the same problem, changed the pads recently as well and when braking to around 10mph the brake really squeal when applied lightly. Im not sure if i have to replace them again or if its just some sort of brakedust as you said!

It could possibly be the shims that hold the pads, they're supposed to stop squeal, but with wear and tear things stop working. Don't quote me on this, could be just the pads maybe?!

JDB

Clio 1.2 16v
Might take it for a free brake test at Kwik Fit then get them to tell me the problem.

172 cup ,197 cup
My brakes squeal when travelling slowly and brakes applied lightly. Was wondering whether it would be brakepads or what not, so is there any advice before i book it into a garage. Brakes work fine just annoying. Also read something about brakedust so if there is anything I can do myself to try and fix it before paying garage prices. Thanks.

Copper slip the rear of the pads and it will stop the squeal or you have a hard compound pads fitted( ie ds 2500-ds 3000):cool:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
When were they last changed ? There should be a part of the pad that squeals when it's low !

For goodness sake, don't take it to KwikFit... you'll come out with new parts worth more than a brand new car !!

JDB

Clio 1.2 16v
When were they last changed ? There should be a part of the pad that squeals when it's low !

For goodness sake, don't take it to KwikFit... you'll come out with new parts worth more than a brand new car !!
Don't worry it's a FREE brake test, I don't plan on giving them a penny :)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Use a bit of emery paper and rub a small chamfer round the outside of the pad face. That should do it.