ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

squeal from windscreen

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
So for the last few months, every time I go above 70mph, I get a horrible high pitched squealing noise coming from around the windscreen area. I searched on here a while back and people were suggesting it was to do with wing mirror holes, poorly fitting doors etc, but there was also a suggestion that the windscreen seal allows air in and causes a squeal.

The other day I got up to 70/80 and the noise started, so I pushed around the edge of the windscreen, and found an length of about 10-15" behind the rear view mirror, where if I push it the noise stops. This has led me to believe that's the area of the windscreen seal that's letting air in.

So my question is, has anyone had this problem, and what is the best thing to use to try and re-seal with windscreen?

Any help is much appreciated.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I had a replacement windscreen fitted to my old Cup by RAC windscreens as it was about to fail its next MOT due to a large chip in zone A.

Couple of weeks go by and I notice, same as you have, a whistle/howl of air when travelling at 65-70mph. Took it back to the RAC and they re-sealed the windscreen and sorted the issue.

I imagine that is your screen is OK and not damaged a similar company (autoglass/RAC windscreens etc) wouldn't charge that much to re-fit and re-seal your existing one.

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
I had a replacement windscreen fitted to my old Cup by RAC windscreens as it was about to fail its next MOT due to a large chip in zone A.

Couple of weeks go by and I notice, same as you have, a whistle/howl of air when travelling at 65-70mph. Took it back to the RAC and they re-sealed the windscreen and sorted the issue.

I imagine that is your screen is OK and not damaged a similar company (autoglass/RAC windscreens etc) wouldn't charge that much to re-fit and re-seal your existing one.

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if they do that or whether it's just replacements, but I'll give them a shout and see what they say.

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
£185.90 for Autoglass to remove and re-fit the glass... Seems a bit much.

Has anyone rectified this problem themselves?

monaco 172
It's a shame it's not cracked. My replacement windscreen was only 70 via autoglass on my insurance..

RB Clio 182
Throw a brick at it and claim for a new windscreen, normally £75 excess and it doesn't effect your no claims etc.

Dont forget to tell them it has auto wipers, and ask for a windscreen and not another windscream.

Clio 182
I had this on my 182, it was the plastic skittle panel where the clip had broken on the end letting it lift up, put a new clip on and job done

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
I had this on my 182, it was the plastic skittle panel where the clip had broken on the end letting it lift up, put a new clip on and job done

I did actually find out exactly where it was coming from. There was about 5-10" of the windscreen seal, just behind/in front of the rear view mirror where it was slightly looser than the rest. I still haven't actually sorted the problem, I've just put some black tape over it and it's stopped it for now 😅
Thanks for the heads up though!

Worth finding one of those 'windscreen-chips-away' places parked up on a retail park and ask if they'd be willing to remove and re-fit for cash?