ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spring fitting help for noobs!

Clio 182
Hey all,

Hopefully Sunday i'm gunna be fitting me springs, using the guide Fubar created!

Now i've changed springs before, so have all the tools and compressors, but this was like a year ago on a '96 Clio Oasis so if i fubered up, no biggy as it was a cheap run around!!

But after reading the horror stories of drive shafts popping out and gear box oil, eeep :S :dapprove:

What is the liklihood of a noob like me popping the shaft out, does a take a lot of force to do...!?! Does supporting the hub completely prevent this from happening, not that i won't, but just asking as i have no idea!! Or any idea what to do if something does go wrong lol!

Any helps would be mucho appreciated :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Well i didn't have a clue what i was doing and i've done it 5 times now, bin fine. Never used compressors either.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
You wont pop a shaft out mate dont worry about that! Wazzz the top nut off, was the strut to hub nuts off and away you go mate!

Clio 182
Haha oklies, cheers for the fast reply guys!!

Will give it a bash and if anything goes wrong, i'm blaming you!!

Cheers!!

Clio 182
Finito'd! Rears done on Saturday and done the fronts yesterday! But what a cafuffle lol!! I thought the fronts would be the side that would give me most jip, but nope!!

Rear jacked up, beam dropped, springs changed in no more than what 15/20mins! Would the n/s bolt go back in, would it feck!! Hour later, after re-tapping (got a mate to do this part) the n/s hub, went in straight away no probs!!

Fronts, soaked the top mounts and hubs in WD40, had 2 nights (cos of the problems with the rears lol) to work it's magic and the shocks came down and away no problems!! Hardest bit threading the strut through and out past the ABS cable lol! Part from that easy peasy! Centre caps were whacked back on about 2 hours later...

So yea, if a noob like me with crappy hand tools can change springs, anyone can! Save yourself £120ish, it's just nuts and bolts hehe!