ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying Large Parts

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
...such as wings/bumpers/bonnets with metallic paint.

What do I need to get a great finish?

I've heard some people say I should get an air gun, others say just an aerosol + wet&dry works great.

What should I coat it with once I've finished? Clear Lacquer? Any particular brand?

Thanks all.

106 GTi
I would be tempted to hire the compressor to.

Its all in the prep, take you time, allow everything to dry, rub down between coats etc.

Try and find somewhere, warm, dry and dust free to do it.

Using Metallic paint you will need to laquer.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
A compressor? Is that one of those guns? Are they too expensive to buy?

What sort of grit wet&dry do I need to rub down?

306 GTI-6
A compressor is just a unit that compresses air which attaches to your spray gun and pushes the paint out of the nozzle! Not sure on the price of them but don't think they're amazingly cheap. £100+ I think.

Hope that helps a bit!
Martin

S reg'd Clio 1.4 RT
you will be able to hire a compressor yeah!

I wouldn't use spray cans to do large areas!
and certainly not large metallic areas!

I bought a decnet compressor and spray gun package for just over £200

as r-jay said, the more effort and care you put into your preparation the better the outcome will be.

When spraying you want more light coats rather than few heavy coats.

The lighter the coat is the less chance you have of it running, be patient, don't rush back between coats, try and leave 15 minutes between them.

Rub down between every 2/3 coats

Punto/Clio GTT
if your in a nice clean area you shouldnt need to rub down between coats at all. just a quick wipe over with a tak rag and spray the next coat til its covered. then 2 coats of laquer, first 3/4 wet (a near finish), give it 10 minutes or so, then give it a second coat, get a nice finish with that one.

i recommend going into town and getting a halogen heater for a tenner, get where your working nice and warm, wet all the floors with water aswell to cut down dust, even wet the walls if possible.

any crap in your paintwork after its laquered then your gonna need to flat it down with P2000/1500 and your gonna need a mop (heavy duty polisher).

if you do need to wet flat it down between basecoats due to crap in it or poor finish ide recommend P1200 or P1500 as you dont really wanna keep flatting your basecoat away, your trying to build it up.

Final_Maxim said:
if your in a nice clean area you shouldnt need to rub down between coats at all. just a quick wipe over with a tak rag and spray the next coat til its covered. then 2 coats of laquer, first 3/4 wet (a near finish), give it 10 minutes or so, then give it a second coat, get a nice finish with that one.

i recommend going into town and getting a halogen heater for a tenner, get where your working nice and warm, wet all the floors with water aswell to cut down dust, even wet the walls if possible.

any crap in your paintwork after its laquered then your gonna need to flat it down with P2000/1500 and your gonna need a mop (heavy duty polisher).

if you do need to wet flat it down between basecoats due to crap in it or poor finish ide recommend P1200 or P1500 as you dont really wanna keep flatting your basecoat away, your trying to build it up.

Not rubbing a panel down after a spray is where it goes wrong. Rubbing the area down (wet sanding) provides a "key" or minute scratch so the paint will actually take to the panel. You will most likely get orange peeling and a poor finish.

As r-jay said... it's all in the preperation. Spend plenty of time on the prep of a panel and hardly any time spraying it. You will need a clearcoat on after.

PS - don't use an aerosol can.

Hire a 1.8mm nozzle spray gun for primer and 1.3mm nozzle spray gun for paint if you're going to do it properly + the compressor.

You would even need to rub down the top coat with something like p1500 paper to give it a slight dull effect before putting on a clear coat.

Hope it helps.

Punto/Clio GTT
ChrisK 172 said:
Not rubbing a panel down after a spray is where it goes wrong. Rubbing the area down (wet sanding) provides a "key" or minute scratch so the paint will actually take to the panel. You will most likely get orange peeling and a poor finish.

As r-jay said... it's all in the preperation. Spend plenty of time on the prep of a panel and hardly any time spraying it. You will need a clearcoat on after.

PS - don't use an aerosol can.

Hire a 1.8mm nozzle spray gun for primer and 1.3mm nozzle spray gun for paint if you're going to do it properly + the compressor.

You would even need to rub down the top coat with something like p1500 paper to give it a slight dull effect before putting on a clear coat.

Hope it helps.

im talking about between coats of basecoat, no need, unless your stevie wonder.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
When you say basecoat, do you meant the primer or colour?

You just rub down the final basecoat?

Punto/Clio GTT
basecoat = colour
laquer=laquer/clear
primer = primer

no need to rub down basecoat (colour) unless its really piss poor painting