ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying engine cover

Suzuki Ignis Sport
What is the best type of paint to be used if i want to spray my engine cover?...

Considering it will become very hot as it sits on top of the engine... any ideas?

I have heard that there is a member here who sprays them for u. Let me know! thanks.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just normal spray and lacquer is fine . Try your local motor accessory suppliers , or failing that Halrauds .

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Im thinking of doing the same thing ,how long does it last before you have to respray it.

Corsa C 1.8 SRi 16v
ive just re-done mine mate.... although its the 1.6 engine
th_24052007281.jpg

th_24052007287.jpg

all i used on mine was normal car spray, but to get a good finish you MUST do several layers of primer, then wet n dry it, then same with paint, then laquer , finishing with a good wax finisher.....

Corsa C 1.8 SRi 16v
I've never got the hang of wet and dry.. what is it ? lol

well its sand paper, but of a very fine gradient, so it doesnt leave reough marks..... basically, you can use it to get a smooth finish on a pain/primer or lacquer finish, but then you can wet it to get an even smoother finish!

took me all of half an hour to do my engine cover including masking up...

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I've never got the hang of wet and dry.. what is it ? lol

well its sand paper, but of a very fine gradient, so it doesnt leave reough marks..... basically, you can use it to get a smooth finish on a pain/primer or lacquer finish, but then you can wet it to get an even smoother finish!

took me all of half an hour to do my engine cover including masking up...

What gradient should i use for wet and dry then?

Corsa C 1.8 SRi 16v
off the top of my head i cant remember what i used, but its very fine stuff!!

best option is to buy a sanding block (each side is different gradient) to start it off, then work from rough to smoothest..... once thats done smooth with dry "wet n dry", followed by wet "wet n dry"...... then add primer, once dry, use wet paper again, prime again and same...... once thats dry skim with fine coat of paint then dry sand, then continue the process until you got good paint coverage, once dry wet sand it smooth (might not need it at this pint depending on how well you finished the coat) followed by lacquer..... (few layers of this in fine coats.....) once thats done and dry, leave it over night then you can wax/polish but DONT use a cutting polish (autoglym has a fine cutting agent and can cause swirl marks in new paint IIRC)

good luck and post some pics :D