ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sportlines fitted now knocking noise

Clio Sport 182
Hi,
I had eibach sportlines and new top mounts fitted yesterday and now when going around corners or parking you can hear the springs constantly knocking as I move the steering. is this normal for the first few days or is something not right here?
I've had a search and I can only find a ton of threads of people asking whether to get the pro or sportlines so I apologise if it's somewhere already.
Thank you

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Either that or they're not seated properly within the upper/lower retaining plates, its relatively easy for the upper to spin when tightening the the top mounts up

Could possibly be the top mount has been done up to tight.. isit like a twang when turning into a bay?
Had it with mine and when i pulled the front shock off and stripped it down the bearing was cracked so had been done up to tight

Clio Sport 182
Yeah it's like the spring is tightening by rotation then twanging back to its loose state if that makes sense. like it's being wound tight then jumping back to being as Un wound if that makes sense I'm terrible at explaining.
It had new bearings fitted when the top mounts were fitted. how are these tightened? from underneath or via the nut on top of the top hat? I'm quite handy with a spanner but I've not ever played with suspension before so it's sort of new to me. I'll also get under and see if they are seated properly.
Regarding them being upside down is there any way to tell? as in a stamp on the spring or the writing being the right way up on them? I do remember the bottoms being different from the top (which ever way they are haha)
Thanks for the help and patience

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
The springs won't be upside down, they are different diameters top to bottom and just wouldn't fit.

My springs were binding, in the same way as you've described, but I had a seized solid top mount, so I refitted standard mounts. So having just done this I imagine the only thing that could be wrong is the bearings being upside down. They should fit snugly onto the top hat.......

IMG_7404.JPG

The big rubber bush then sits on top of the bearing, followed by a collar and nut. When torqued up, the rubber will spin freely and probably feel like there's too much play.

It's hard to imagine the bearings could be fitted upside down though because they just wouldn't sit well at all!

Clio Sport 182
The springs won't be upside down, they are different diameters top to bottom and just wouldn't fit.

My springs were binding, in the same way as you've described, but I had a seized solid top mount, so I refitted standard mounts. So having just done this I imagine the only thing that could be wrong is the bearings being upside down. They should fit snugly onto the top hat.......

View attachment 171005

The big rubber bush then sits on top of the bearing, followed by a collar and nut. When torqued up, the rubber will spin freely and probably feel like there's too much play.

It's hard to imagine the bearings could be fitted upside down though because they just wouldn't sit well at all!
OK thanks for the reply this seems logical. looking by at the top hats they seem to sit higher than the old ones, the old ones used to sit quite tight to the strut and I do remember before about Renault changing them as there was so many problems before so I can only assume these are the newer ones? can I adjust the bearing tension from the top hat bolt? or do I need to take the leg off to play with this?
Thanks a lot!

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
You can't adjust tension on the bearing, if it's fitted correctly it will always spin freely. The only reason it will not spin freely is if it's fitted upside down or something else is wrong.

I guess you'll have to take it all out and check its fitted properly I'm afraid :grimacing:.

Clio Sport 182
You can't adjust tension on the bearing, if it's fitted correctly it will always spin freely. The only reason it will not spin freely is if it's fitted upside down or something else is wrong.

I guess you'll have to take it all out and check its fitted properly I'm afraid :grimacing:.
What else could be wrong? it's making 5/6 'donks' per full lock also are these OK as they seem quite high compared to the old ones? the guys back in work Wednesday so I'll get him to have a proper look at it

Clio Sport 182
Here's the high top hat

Attachments

• 1480864203082-1523629751.jpg
    1480864203082-1523629751.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 97
  Clio Sport 182
I've just had the bonnet up and can see the right hand one when turning seems to stick then ping round every time the done happens. I assume something is too tight or causing resistance there. I took the top hats off and it makes no difference what so ever :(
If driving this I assume it will screw the bearings up if somethings not seated properly or too tight

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Yeah, summat's been fitted wrong. I wonder if the bearing is there at all?!

(Btw, I called the "top spring cap" a "top hat" in my earlier post, sorry my mistake. The top hats do nothing other than prevent the whole lot dropping out when you jack the car up).

Clio Sport 182
Thats not right sitting far to high
Yeah I thought so. I know the newer kit sat higher than the first type which everyone is used to, and everyone used to pack it out with washers because the old kit sat low so that's why the new kits came about so I can only assume this is the newer version but even to me it seems too high. it doesn't interfere with the bonnet though.
The guy who fitted it is a very experienced mechanic who has owned and ran the same garage from day one and has a big reputation round my way and is also a good friend. he did say about the old bearings were crap and I mentioned about having the top mounts done for peace of mind and he said they came with bearings and fitted them.
So my question now comes to does the normal suspension come with different top mounts to the cup suspension packs? as it's possible the shop has sent the wrong ones?

Clio Sport 182
And to be clear both top hats sit like this and raise/drop a little depending on the steering angle

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
No cup ones are the same.

The issue is the bearing tho because as your turning the spring is pinging. Its 100% not right honestly

Clio Sport 182
No cup ones are the same.

The issue is the bearing tho because as your turning the spring is pinging. Its 100% not right honestly
Thanks a lot I'll have a look or get him to in the week when he's back in. as before I do need to take the leg out to see and sort this Yes?
Thanks

Clio Sport 182
Let's hope so! nearly every other problem has been a nightmare! even changed the abs loom when it didn't want the lights to go out. then bypassed the new plugs underneath by the sub frame and it works fine but even with a new loom it didn't want to go. the car has a ghost I swear

Clio Sport 182
that gap looks about right for not having a bearing fitted...

what make top mounts?
Surely without a bearing fitted it would sit even lower? I can't see if something in the middle is missing it would make it sit higher? like I said I'm no expert but it just sounds weird if you see where I'm coming from?

I'll get a picture of the brand tomorrow I have the box somewhere

dan's cast offs.
Without the bearing in place the top hat would be closer to the top moun. Need to pull them off and look. At least if you get the tops off, Jack the car up and try and get the mounts to drop you can reach them from the wheel arch and see if they turn freely.

Clio Sport 182
Without the bearing in place the top hat would be closer to the top moun. Need to pull them off and look. At least if you get the tops off, Jack the car up and try and get the mounts to drop you can reach them from the wheel arch and see if they turn freely.
Yeah OK that makes more sense I couldn't understand why it would be higher if it's missing. I'll hopefully look tomorrow but I'm working so I'm a bit tight for time and light. here's the top mounts box

Attachments

• DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 70
  Clio Sport 182
I got the mounts out today and the bearings already came in them and they was pressed in very tightly when they was out the box so he fitted them like it as he couldn't push them out. turns out they came out of the box the wrong way round and now it's all smooth :)
Also the top hats have dropped right down back to normal!!
Thanks for the help guys really helped me out

I got the mounts out today and the bearings already came in them and they was pressed in very tightly when they was out the box so he fitted them like it as he couldn't push them out. turns out they came out of the box the wrong way round and now it's all smooth :smile:
Also the top hats have dropped right down back to normal!!
Thanks for the help guys really helped me out
Funny that if you buy genuine Renault you can put the bearings in either way, turn them upside down and they will fall out.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Had to be something radically wrong, glad it's sorted :up:.

Clio Sport 182
Yeah they were upside down but pressed in so hard and into a groove in the mount so it looked like they was fitted but once pressed out it was obvious.
Flebay how do the Renault ones work? these look very similar to the gyro you get on a bmx. the old ones I believe we're genuine and look identical to these