ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sport 182, Newbie Help

CLIO 182
Hi all, first post, please be gentle :rasp:

Had the dreaded Aux failure taking out the cambelt and killing 4 valves, luckly it had happend on start up so engine bearly started. Bent two inlets and only just very slightly two exhaust.

Have taken everything off and fitted 16 new valves, stem seals etc.

I have been following the FR4 730 technical manual, foolishly thinking this was my engine.

More web searching has revealed i have the F4R 738

I have followed the manual with regards to re fitting the head etc with new bolts, just want to make sure the torque settings in the 730 manual are suitable for the 738. Would assume the timing of the engine is the same for both variants, but would love somebody to confirm.

Have fitted new head bolts (as above), on reading through here and the manual, also ordering a new crank pulley bolt, anything else i should consider bolt wise? Exhaust cam bolt?

Now comes the cambelt time, looking at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330613101749?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619. My understanding of tools required are crank lokcing pin, camshaft locking bar and cam pulley holder gadget.....Anything else?

Thanks in advance for your help, Matt.

The 730 manual is fine for the 738. the belt is good, you'll also need the cam end caps, I'd recommend replacing the exhaust stud, inlet bolt and dephaser as its all apart.

CLIO 182
Thanks dan - just the news i wanted!

Next question, physically on the engine where is the crankshaft access for the crank locking pin?

In addition the manual mentions for the Aux belt use tool 1368 *and rachet attachement*, found the tool but not sure about the attachment part, i tried using the 3/8ths? socket and bar method but ended up smashing the tensioner to bits! Any more information gratefully received.

Last edited:
I wouldnt do it to remove, but to install the new one. Clamp the spring in a vice, tighten it right down, then Get a jubilee clip, put it around the tensioner spring. And make sure the drive screw is on the alternator side when you fit it.