ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

splines??

1.4 clio rt
hi all, i think i just about understand the concept of adjusting the torsion bar except 1 thing. some people say 'turn it 2 splines itll give you 60mm' etc. just wondering what is a spline and what do you turn? from what i understand, you pull out the bars, jack up the arm to as low as you want it and shove the bars back in with a hammer... am i right guys?so what is all this spline stuff?? thanks for any input. p.s, what is the illusive valver like to drive? id kill to be able to insure one but im only 19!!!

dunno whether they differ from saxos/106's but their torsion bars had two methods of adjusting..

clueles garages.idiots would remove the rear trailing arm and rotate it a 'spline' or a 'click' then re affix it (think thats how it was done). leads to fast wearing of the trailing arm bearings i believe. no one knows the height it would lower as the splines/clicks arent even all the way round the bar anyway..

most other people remove the bars, adjust the trailing arm to the new height (measured from a datum point), and slot the bars back in. (can only go in one way so have to keep rotating the bar and trying it.)
can adjust it to within a few mm accuracy.

Sod countng the splines etc, just pull it out, jack the trailing arm up desired amount and push bar back in, you might need to rotate it till it will fit in properly.....sorted