ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo reading fast

Clio 182
Hi all,
My misses just bought a 04 reg 182. I drove it back down the motorway and I noticed something odd with the sat nav. Usually it shows the true speed which is lower than indicated on the gauges. However, in the Clio at a steady 70mph the sat nav was actually indicating 72mph. I'd say it was reliable information as I always use that sat nav.
Does anybody know why the car would be not indicating the correct speed and reading too slow. It has got the genuine black alloys with 205/45/16 tyres.
Also, only when turning right theres like a squeeking clunk. Are there any common issues like exhaust knock etc?

Thank you

A3 Tdi
Well, with the speedo its a very common thing with the majority of all cars.
Generally the faster the car goes the more the speedo over reads, i believe car manufactures are allowed to have a speedo thats out by as much as 10% (correct me if im wrong).

If you think its a really big issue you could have it callibrated but your car sounds very normal to me :)

Yeh as mentioned its a perfectly normal thing.

Interestingly my pilot mate says not to trust the accuracy of GPS's either. He gave me a very convincing and very technical reason as to why but i cant for the life of me remember.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I have tried 5 cars with a sat nav and none showed the same on the speedo as the sat nav stated.

Also ref the cruise controll, on my way back from rockingham, my speedo showed 65, my cruise controll is set at 63 and my sat nav said 61.

Clio 182
thanks for the replies guys. I noticed the cruise control being slower. The only thing im worried about is the speedo isnt showing fast enough. So possibly speeding all the time. In my clio dci it shows gps speed about 3mph under clock speed. But in the 182 gps is more than clock speed which i thought should never happen.↲
Thanks

Track 172cup
yeh that is a bit weird it being under, the majority read slightly over on the speedo (inc mine)

if i set the cruise control to 70 is reads about 73, always see people go through speed cameras/average speed checks faster than me aswell even though i'm sitting on the limit according to the speedo, as said it gets worse the faster you go but shouldn't be that much out