ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo issues!!!

Clio 172 ph1.
Right I've had a look around but it seems most problems are rectified, mine how ever is not. I bought te car with a faulty speedo. (phase 1, 172, with abs). I replace the speedo sensor and it worked well for about a week then that to got temperamental and now doesn't work at all. I then bought another new speedo sensor plugged it in and nothing. I don't have any abs lights or fault lights. Car runs well. It's just the speedo. Any one with the next port of call after the speedo sensor please help. Thank you!!!

Clio 172 ph1.
Yeah all the other dials are fine, temp, fuel, rpm, all lights work. It's just the speedo. I could take the top half of the dash off and have a look. I looked at the wiring looms in the engine bay but nothing seemed broken or out of place. Unless there is a particular earth connected just for the speedo sensor that could be faulty.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Is your speed sensor one attached on the back of the gearbox or is yours connected to the ABS system like the later Mk2 172/182. I see you have specified you have abs.

Reason I ask is I have a Cup and mine is located on the 'back' of the engine. I am aware later models have it elsewhere even to the extent that the gearbox has no hole for the sensor to fit in. Mine was damaged during an engine swap, so I bought a new one and fitted/worked fine. When mine was damaged I found some of the sensor's drive pin (square section) still loged in the gearbox output hole and was stopping the sensor fitting properly. Once removed fitted fine.

Also if your is on the back of the engine, does it still have its heat shield around it, a small metal clip on thing? If you are without......heat damage from exhaust manifold/engine affecting sensor maybe?

Hope this helps,
Rob

Clio 172 ph1.
I included that the car has abs just because of the possibility that it may take a reading from that. But it does have the speedo on the back of the engine top of the gear box. When I first replaced it the original one came out no problem and the next one went in no problem. It still has a heat shield, apparently abs sensory or £60 quid for a front and 160 for a back wheel so don't want to change them on a whim. If the car has a speedo sensor then is that the only way it picks up speed or does it use a combination of both? And could gearbox oil have any effect? Thanks for the input guys we'll hopefully solve it soon. Any other thoughts please bring them to the table George

Golf GTD Mk7
Do a quick self test on it to check the speedo is still working. To do this, hold the trip computer button down for two seconds, then while holding, turn the key to ignition. All the dials should light up and move. Rules that out for you.
It sounds like it might be a wiring issue if the abs isn't showing faults, but getting it diagnosed would be useful as it will narrow down your search.

I included that the car has abs just because of the possibility that it may take a reading from that. But it does have the speedo on the back of the engine top of the gear box. When I first replaced it the original one came out no problem and the next one went in no problem. It still has a heat shield, apparently abs sensory or £60 quid for a front and 160 for a back wheel so don't want to change them on a whim. If the car has a speedo sensor then is that the only way it picks up speed or does it use a combination of both? And could gearbox oil have any effect? Thanks for the input guys we'll hopefully solve it soon. Any other thoughts please bring them to the table George

IMO they all have a GB speed sensor and the reading from the ABS is utter BS, but thats just me lol. My car had ABS issues for a while, i changed the rear sensors, but my dash was fine.

Golf GTD Mk7
you set the control unit via CLIP to denote which sensor is going to be used to register the speed. Trust me it's there ;)

Freetrack&Monaco 172
From what I understand they just use one method for determining speed, and as you have a gearbox sensor I would personally reckon that was the method on your car. When you bought the car did the speedo work at all? Seems strange that replacing it worked for a while then got worse again.....odd!?

If you are happy the sensor is seated properly and that works fine I would have a look at the connector, is there water/oil egress into it, or has the cable into the loom been worn or damaged. The position of the sensor IMO would shield it from any leaking gearbox oil and I dont think that would affect the mechanism.

See if you can get hold of any cabling diagrams/trace where the sensor cables go to so you can test them to see if they are ok with a mulitmeter. You could test them at the sensor plug end for a short circuit possibly?

Rob

Clio 172 ph1.
you set the control unit via CLIP to denote which sensor is going to be used to register the speed. Trust me it's there ;)

I'll do that test. I guess that will rule out whether the dial works or not. What is CLIP. ?

Also speedo did work a little when I got it. Then I replaced it. Worked constantly for a week. Then intermittantly. Then nothing. Replaced it again. And still nothing.

As far as gear box oil I meant from the view if it's grungy inside could that effect the spinning thing on the sensor.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
CLIP is the Renault diagnostic system but is used to do ECU programming too.

Not true that all Sports have speed sensors, not BS. 172s nearing the end before 182s and also all 182s AFAIK use ABS sensors for speed and the g-boxes actually have no hole/mechanism for the sensor. Was warned when looking for a new engine and potentially a newer gearbox to fit to my Cup that I may have issues if I bought a later one......in the end just refitted my original gearbox.

Clio 172 ph1.
Ok so I did the trip computer button an turn the key test and all the dials moved. It was so great to se the speedo working. I got myself a multiple meeter. So am I putting it on the beep mode. Like to sheck flow? I'm cofused. Also there are three wires to the plug. I'm guessing a positive, negative and the reading?

Clio 172 ph1.
I did a resistance test on the sensor itself to find out which two were the power supply. Then with ignition on. Did a volt test to check whether power was coming to the sensor. It said it was. Can't remember the exact voltage. Then wd40 the sensors spinny bit and connection. The hole in the gear box. And the loom plug. Plugged it in. And it worked during a test drive around the car park. I hope it works later on. Thank you for all the help. I may call on u all again soon:)

Clio 172 ph1.
So my working speedo lasted about a mile down the road. Any thoughts? Change the wiring ? Any one got any wiring diagrams?

Clio 172 ph1.
ok so it's progressed a bit, last night i removed my upper dash to install the autoleads, steering stalk adaptor, and when i drove after that, it worked for a mile or so. So today i unplugged the wire and the back of the clocks and wd40'd them. when i drove it work. but died after a bit, and i notice now, that, It works when you restart the engine, but eventualy dies, what in anybodys opinion would reset when the engine is turned off and on that would cause the speedo to work again for a bit, merry christmas:>

Clio 172 ph1.
Finally I fixed it!!!!! There is a speedo signal wire the comes to the head unit. It was connecting to an after
Market wire that was shorting it. So pulled out that wire and it works woohoo :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Finally I fixed it!!!!! There is a speedo signal wire the comes to the head unit. It was connecting to an after
Market wire that was shorting it. So pulled out that wire and it works woohoo :)

Thats interesting, im also having speedo issues and some mug has distroyed my standard loom, anymore details on what wire it is :)

Clio 172 ph1.
Yeah the there are two plugs for the standard loom. One is all the speaker wires and the other is the power etc. The speedo wire is the only one of that plug that had a double wire into the same pin. Like it's goin in and out. What are ure speedo symptoms?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yes, simple swap but then the UCH will need reconfiguring to drive the fuel/temp gauges correctly to stop it driving them in quarter segments