ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spec Me : Track Day/Sprint Tyres

Clio 172 Cup
Probably been asked a thousand times, but track day/sprint tyres. After a good all rounder to fit my Turinis. So either a 205 45 16 or 195 45 16. Any suggestions guys? Currently thinking Federal 595 RSR however, concerned for their wet weather grip?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I ran the new R888R tyre in 205/45 16 flavour. Awesome tyres and better grip than 888's. You won't get anything sticky in 195/45 16 so you'd have to go 195/50 16 for a wider choice.

Kumho V70A's are worth a look as well. You can get those in soft, medium and hard compounds.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Check with the sprint rules as depending on what class you go in can have an impact on what tyres you can run (msa list 1a is a road tyre, msa list 1b is a track tyre)

Brushwood69

ClioSport Club Member
You can run 1b in road class but you need the softest tyre you can get as you go from cold and most runs are between 30s to 60s so they will not get warm. I ran the ns2r in soft and they did not work . A lot of people moved to maxsport rb5s which are very soft. However if you are doing both you track and Sprint you may need to compromise or have 2 sets

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Brushwood69

ClioSport Club Member
Nope, just not slicks(or 1c). To run slicks you move into modified class. Road going class allows you to fit bucket seats, steering wheel etc. The silhouette must remain the same and the suspension mounting points have to be the same. Induction is free which means you can turbo any car but will be subject to the 1.4 cc multiplier. Cage is optional but the MSA will recommend one. Carpets can also be removed by no trim.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Few run the maxxsport's in my class in the scottish series, seem to get good results

All the rest run 888's, Iv got R1R's as I was keeping costs low this year and already had two. They'll become my wet tyre once I upgrade to a stickier tyre.

2Wonder if there will be any changes for next year tyre wise, may be 888's for me

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
I've used some almost-to-the-wear-bars 595 RSRs in some pretty horrible conditions - you just have to not drive like a spaz. Overall, a really good tyre for the price IMO.

If you are serious about 'sprint' tyres then I suggest you wait until the MSA publish the approved tyre lists for 2017. The MSA and the tyre manufacturers get together this month to update the lists for 2017.
There is a rumour that some tyres currently in List 1C will move to List 1B for next year.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
What tyres would folk like to see moved into 1B? I only started this year so hasnt effected me as much as it has others. Had heard that boys werent getting the same times with 888's this year as they were last year (unsure what tyres they were on last year but wasnt 888's)

I'd like to see the Kumho Ecsta V70A (hard, medium and soft compounds) move to List 1B. I found the 'Supersoft' compound was brilliant for hillclimbs / sprints but just too soft for the road - so I would see that compound staying as List 1C. Wet weather grip was also very, very good with the Kumho.
As a general road tyre that can also be used on the track then I think the Kumho V70A is hard to beat. It may not look as sexy as the Avon ZZR or the Nankang AR-1 but it really delivers in terms of performance.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Reading it a bit more in depth now, I just looked for tyre lists first then started realising all the rest of the changes!

Agreed .. it's just the new 'Standard' category being introduced for 2017 that is limited to List 1a.
Two problems I can see for this new category -
1) some drivers / enthusiasts entering this new entry level category will already have a good set of tyres that they have used for the odd track day. These tyres will probably be List 1B ... such as Toyo 888, Yokos, NanKang, etc These would have to be replaced with inferior List 1a tyres .
2) The eligibility policing for this new category will be a nightmare.... so I expect most hillclimb / sprint events to have a class for this new category but I don't see it being adopted by the major championships such as ASWMC. That means in 2017 you can run a Clio in 'Standard' but you won't get points towards any championship.

It will be interesting to see how many newcomers will be attracted to this in 2017.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
The problem for the new standard class is 5000 per annum which I would have thought would exclude cups or trophy's as not enough were made.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
The problem for the new standard class is 5000 per annum which I would have thought would exclude cups or trophy's as not enough were made.

I asked this very question to a Scrutineer at Shelsley and he has asked the question many times for the MSA to define "Model" which they won't!
So he goes by what's on the log book so a Clio is a Clio whether is a 1.2 DCi or a V6.
Hence why Lotus 340R are allow despite the fact they only made 340 of them as on the log book it says Lotus Elise.

Rich