ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spec me a computer

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
the current desktop I use to run my cctv setup is like 10 years old and not up to the job anymore. its fine if you have one camera connected by with 2 it hardly runs and I want to add a third. trying to watch back the video is slow and painful

not bothered if its a desktop or laptop but I need a computer that can run, including viewing the footage of 3x ip cctv cameras.
I could also do with a new better resolution screen.

don't have a lot of money but all thoughts welcome

I currently have all the cameras plugged into an old wireless router and then that plugged directly into the pc, so all cameras are hard wired in.
I record onto an external hard drive, a days footage from one camera is 50gb. so with 3 cameras the computer has a lot of data to deal with

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Brass Tacks.

How much you wanna spend? Can you build PC's yourself confidently?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
xavier_02.jpg

MicroSurfer ftw

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Would the PC be exclusively for the camera system, or are you needing an internet PC too?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
@Gareth Has shown you the way then :)

I'm not entirely sure on how Microservers work as such but I'm guessing it's similar to a PC in that it's got masses of storage and a basic op system.

More info Gareth mate!

182 T
Dell do small servers with cashback too that work out about the same price. Microserver is just a phrase, it is a small server. Server hardware is designed to be left on and running being used all the time 24*7 where as tradtional desktop computers and laptops aren't (new technology has changed this in the past couple of years in fairness).

If it's CCTV you're biggest requirement is a harddrive that will sit and run for ages, like a WD RED or PURPLE(CCTV)

HP Micro or Dell T series are good shouts.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Here is a good overview of the HP Microserver Gen8:

http://techhead.co/hp-proliant-microserver-g8a-decent-home-lab-server/ (ignore the part about drive capacity, I have 2 x 6TB HDDs working fine in mine and I can't see any reason why 8TB wouldn't work either)

They are a server, but you can put Desktop OS's on them. My two are heavily upgraded (Xeons, SSDs, 16GB RAM, 6 NICs etc etc but you should comfortably be able to run CCTV on the standard CPU. They are low power (150W PSU) and pretty silent in operation, so you can easily leave them running 24x7 without issue, for the money you won't believe the build quality, they are solid great little machines. They don't come with HDDs so you will need to add your own, but they use regular SATA HDDs.

The Lenovo TS140 deals were definitely a better deal as they came with a Xeon fitted and can take 32GB of RAM whereas the HP is limited to 16GB, although this is only likely to become an issue if you are running multiple VMs and Hyper-V dynamic memory goes a long way to stretch the use of the memory out. That said, given the choice previously I have still gone down the route of the HP and bought the Xeon separately (although they are a lot harder to get hold of now!) as working in the industry with HP, Dell & IBM/Lenovo I much prefer HP, the compact size of the HP is also very convenient. I have two of them sat on my desk in my office at home and I wouldn't know they were running over the noise of my desktop PC.

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Here is a good overview of the HP Microserver Gen8:

http://techhead.co/hp-proliant-microserver-g8a-decent-home-lab-server/ (ignore the part about drive capacity, I have 2 x 6TB HDDs working fine in mine and I can't see any reason why 8TB wouldn't work either)

They are a server, but you can put Desktop OS's on them. My two are heavily upgraded (Xeons, SSDs, 16GB RAM, 6 NICs etc etc but you should comfortably be able to run CCTV on the standard CPU. They are low power (150W PSU) and pretty silent in operation, so you can easily leave them running 24x7 without issue, for the money you won't believe the build quality, they are solid great little machines. They don't come with HDDs so you will need to add your own, but they use regular SATA HDDs.

The Lenovo TS140 deals were definitely a better deal as they came with a Xeon fitted and can take 32GB of RAM whereas the HP is limited to 16GB, although this is only likely to become an issue if you are running multiple VMs and Hyper-V dynamic memory goes a long way to stretch the use of the memory out. That said, given the choice previously I have still gone down the route of the HP and bought the Xeon separately (although they are a lot harder to get hold of now!) as working in the industry with HP, Dell & IBM/Lenovo I much prefer HP, the compact size of the HP is also very convenient. I have two of them sat on my desk in my office at home and I wouldn't know they were running over the noise of my desktop PC.
it will need an operating system on it of some sort cos ill need to install cctv camera software.

so they don't come with an operating system or storage?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
ill be honest I'm not sure I'm getting these micro server things?

https://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/819185-421

I would need to buy cd driver, hhd and operating system?

it comes with plastic case, a small amount of ram and a processor?

No, you need to buy an OS and a HDD (you would have to buy these with any other computer anyway?) The last deal made the machine £109.99, your getting a lot for that money, trust me. As GiT said, you haven't specified budget, but if you are looking for an inital CCTV setup, i'd be looking at something like a 120GB SSD drive for the OS (circa £50) and say a 1TB drive for storage (£40). Then depending on budget upping the memory, but even with the OS your around £300.

The OS can be installed via USB or the ILO using remote media.