ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spare wheel for Cup

As i intimated in my first post yesterday, Im not too convinced of the merits of the flat tyre scenario in the cup,i.e. two aerosols and an empty tyre well in the boot. Ok , Im aware of the weight saving argument hence faster times etc. but being a traditionalist Id feel happier with a trusty "proper " spare on board.......I dont know how other cup owners feel?

Anyway, for all you knowledgable and technical people out there assume I visit a scrapyard, what car would I find a suitable steel wheel on i.e. 16",with right offset, and PCD.? What numbers would be stamped on it so that I wouldt be duped by some scrapyard knownowt?

Im probably being paranoid about this , in fact its years since I had a puncture, but Im a firm believer in "Sods law"! Anyway lets know your ideas

(im assuming there wont be too many 172 mk 2s in this scrapyard which would solve the problem!!)

Keep up the good work!

Steve S.

clio 20v

does the 172 come with an alloy spare, ill be goin the reno breakers tomoz so ill ask em what will fit and see if theyve got anythin

adi

GR7

Shiny red R32

Sorry guys, you are both wrong!

The 172 comes with an alloy spare, which is identical to the four on the car!

Girlracer..... thanks! we both stand corrected!

So what renault cars will have a steel wheel of the size, width, offset that I need for this spare? What size wheels do r19s r21;s r25s etc have?

Steve S.

You dont need a spare! i drive 70 miles a day to work and back in my 172 inc quite a bit on the motorway and my spare is sat in the garage to save on weight! just ring someone up if u get stuck, im sure u have a mobile phone!

clio 20v

size doesnt really matter id just look for a 15" steel, pcd is 4x100 not sure on mk 2 clio offset mine is 36mm but ive seen a mk 1 clio with 172 rims so i assume its the same

if the tyres are a higher profile the rolling radius will prob be same anyway but if u get a puncture its only too get u home or to a garage

adi

I pulled a fast one when i got my cup as it does not come with a spare i kept the spare of my Megane Coupe i traded in:devilish:.

You need at least a 15" spare because of the size of the front brakes.

Clio 200 FF

dont forget the cup has a different offset to the 172 as it has a wider track, also if you gat a 162 spare the tyre will probably be directional.

Better to get a 15" with a 55 profile (undirectional)