ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sparco horn wiring

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So i've read a number of different things about connecting the horn up and people having problems with burning/melting cables.

I really do not want this to happen. In an older thread someone recommended chopping off the little spring clip on the back of the horn so that it wasn't earthing to the steering wheel. What have others done?

Must be a way to fit them and have them working without them burning up.

clio 172
So i've read a number of different things about connecting the horn up and people having problems with burning/melting cables.

I really do not want this to happen. In an older thread someone recommended chopping off the little spring clip on the back of the horn so that it wasn't earthing to the steering wheel. What have others done?

Must be a way to fit them and have them working without them burning up.
Just get a phase 1 stalk job done no more earthing probs

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
On my OMP wheel, I cut off part of the spring clip just as you suggested, it ensures it doesn’t short to the wheel. I even insulated parts of the spring on the inside of the horn mechanism where I thought there could’ve been a further risk of shorting (overkill for sure 🙈, but the OMP one has some metal rivets inside to cause me extra anxiety 😅).

It’s the bit sticking out in the pic that touches and shorts on the wheel....

F24F3321-D757-49AF-8A2B-B1D6D1FF597E.jpeg

But, and it is a big but, you do risk NOT looking cool waving to your people :smile:!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
On my OMP wheel, I cut off part of the spring clip just as you suggested, it ensures it doesn’t short to the wheel. I even insulated parts of the spring on the inside of the horn mechanism where I thought there could’ve been a further risk of shorting (overkill for sure 🙈, but the OMP one has some metal rivets inside to cause me extra anxiety 😅).

It’s the bit sticking out in the pic that touches and shorts on the wheel....

View attachment 1361248

But, and it is a big but, you do risk NOT looking cool waving to your people :smile:!
Thanks for the pictures mate. The sparco one looks identical. I pulled out that spring clip and cut it short then slid it back inside. Was going to pull it all out completely but decided against it as not sure whether it's connected internally...

Not tried it yet but see no reason why it would short.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
As long as the spring can’t touch the wheel then there’s no chance of it shorting, it’s why I put insulating tape at the bottom of my button, belt and braces and all that! If you’re really worried you could wrap tape around the spring windings itself :smirk:. I presume the Sparco horn has the two spade connections?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
And as long as it can’t touch either of the spade connector contacts! Although that’ll probably just make the horn beep constantly :confused::smile:.