ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sound help

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
hi, im really struggling to get sound here and its getting to the point where its really irritating me so any help is appreciated.

basically i have a PS3 and a SKy+HD box a samsung home cinema system and an LG tv.

i have the PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI. likewise the Sky box. but i have the sound routed via optical cables from the PS3 to the home cinema system likewise the Sky box.

i currently have no problems using either the Sky box or the Ps3 when using 1 optical cable, i.e when watching sky it has the cable between the sky box and the home cinema, if i want toi watch something on the PS3 i have to get behind the TV and take it out of the Sky box and plug it into the PS3. which is a huge ballache.

so i bought an optical splitter (this is the 3rd one now) routing it so i have a setup like this...

sky
box -
optical splitter - home cinema
PS3 -

home cinema is on the "digital in" setting (it has others such as aux, dvd,FM etc.)

but i just cant get it to work. all 3 cables are good because ive used them all seperatley whilst doing it the hard way, the splitter is new and ive also had 3 diffrent ones now so im begining to believe that isnt the problem.

can anyone help? id love to be able to just switch from one to the other without forcing my way behind the TV to swap cables around

cheers

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Tom that was the second one I've tried. Didn't work.

I don't mind turning the ps3 off or sky box off (whichever isn't being used) if it means I can have a splitter that automatically works

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You cant, unless you get a remote switcher NOT a splitter.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You cant, unless you get a remote switcher NOT a splitter.

Why can't I use a splitter? When I bought this recent one it had reviews from people trying to do exactly what I'm trying to do just with an Xbox

http://www.richersounds.com/package/home-cinema/1-box-home-cinema-systems/pah01346

:cool:

Got any phono inputs on your system .. can you dump one of the opticals and go old-skool ? I assume it's a 'one-box-wonder' home cinema ?

I wish I'd have bought a proper one now tbh, was the misses' fault we bought this one because it had a yellow offer label on it in Tesco :/

Yes it's a DVD home cinema thing. It has an aux in, component out, digital audio in (optical), video out and hdmi out on the back.

I want the best quality I can get tbh hence I opted to use the optical cables

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
A while now. Been suffering with reaching back and swapping the cables for a while but we rarely used the ps3 but now I've started streaming stuff from the ps3 I'll be using it a lot more do its going to become more of a pain.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
A while now. Been suffering with reaching back and swapping the cables for a while but we rarely used the ps3 but now I've started streaming stuff from the ps3 I'll be using it a lot more do its going to become more of a pain.

Model of surround sound?

Same issue here and the problem is with the actual DVD unit of my samsung surround sound. When going through an optical switch the optical signal is reduced significantly and the surround sound unit doesn't like it.
Plug an optical cable into ur surround sound optical port and shine the red laser from the end of the cable on your hand. Look how bright it is.
Now put the switch box/splitter on and another cable from one of its ports and set the switch to that port. Now shine that on your hand. If you can see it, I'd be amazed (maybe with tr lights off and curtains shut). I can just make mine out if I dress in Female Muslim clothing and cup my hands.

bought a better brand of surround sound (tested it in currys with the above method) to sort it.

I went through countless cables and chinas finest switch boxes and it was the Fcking DVD!

Careful putting the optical in and out all the time too, these units ports are made of chocolate.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Don't think it's the same issue mate as I get quite a strong light even through a splitter so I think the strength is fine. To me, by means of elimination, it has to be either the splitter or the Surround sound. But what's throwing me off is it works perfectly fine if I'm just running a cable from one to the other.

Edit: think the model number is ah63-02058d but I may be way off there lol

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nope. The switch (not a splitter) severs the connection from the previous optical device. Its basically a mirror in a box.

Take a picture of how you have it set up, it might be something simple.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Well I have a bit of an update now using that switch.

All the optical cables are working no matter how I route them as does ps3 and sky but,

I can get the ps3 to work through the switch in all 3 of the holes

I can't get the sky to work through the switch, but if I route a cable straight from the sky to the home cinema it works. So im guessing the length of the 2 cables has something to do with it? Or a setting on the sky box ?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
ok then i dont know.

heres a picture of the optical setup
053de5ac-1.jpg

as i said PS3 works no matter what socket you put the cable in, sky works in neither. the only way to get sky working is by going direct from the box to the home cinema

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't check for the DD sign. Will check it later but this caught my eye...

1. Where possible the connections between your SkyHD box and amplifier/TV should be a direct connection (no splitters etc)
Doesnt offer any solutions to having to use one

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ok an update on this.

I bought a coaxial - optical converter to run the sky box sound. This went through the splitter fine with no problems, also worked with the ps3.

Thing is it would drop sound out for a few seconds then come back (no particular pattern) on both sky and ps3. This would suggest the splitter is naff.

Also I have an apple tv now which also uses optical but this doesn't work through a splitter.

Now if I put 2 1meter cables together it works, if I put the splitter in the middle it won't work, if I put another 1 meter optical cable in the middle it wont work. So is the 2 connections weakening the signal?

Beginig to hate optical cables now!

Is there a solution that isn't a £150 optical splitter?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Well I bit the bullet yesterday and bought an optical switcher that's powered with a remote, wasn't cheap but at least this will sort my problems out. Had nothing but good reviews online