ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soulless' RB 182 Cup

LY R26
Copied and pasted from Shed Motorsport:

Y'allo, Thought I better do one of these as I havent done one for my past 3-4 cars I dont think..
I bought another bit of France's finest tin, due to buying a house with the gf, I owed her some money for her bigger deposit on the place...so I sold my Honda.

37284_10150198279290246_565070245_13245382_6437131_n.jpg

It's a 2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup,
I bought it from DaveW on here for what was a fair price at the time.
I picked it up on just over 59k on the clock with a recent cambelt, auxbelt and dephaser pulley change at KTEC - This was a necessity when I was looking at Clio's, as I know how expensive this can be from being in the Clio drivers seat a couple of times before.
The car not only benefitting from a decent service history had a few decent modifications already:

Cupracer brake ducts,
Matte carbon fibre splitter,
Scorpion RS192 exhaust system,
JMS Matched inlets,
RSTuner Remap,
Acoustic valve removed & Panel filter.

When I picked the car up, it needed a couple of things, DaveW sorted me out with some tax...
It also had 2 bald, bald PZero's up front. So I took a trip to tyre web Ashford and had 2 x Toyo Proxes T1R's fitted to the front wheels and the tracking sorted as that was definitely out.

66606_10150282580675246_565070245_15366719_300843_n.jpg

Now, at this point I thought I would leave the car be..
But then some things started to bother me,
The RS192 which I had as my first exhaust on the Trophy, I do not rate this system that highly. It doesnt fit that great, it's relatively heavy compared to a Yozza and because of the weight & poor fitment Im led to believe that is why it was blowing around the decat / centrepipe flange..might just be my friends fitting capabilities :p
If you are after a relatively quiet & good value system, perhaps this exhaust is for you..
So I sold the RS192 and looked around at other exhausts, there was a 3+ month wait time on a Yozza catback, and I had a potential buyer for the Scorpion, so I looked at alternatives.
Decided on the KTEC Ultra system for the 182 - as it offers a 2.5" bore exhaust throughout, where as keeping the original cat on a 182 it reduces bore size substantially at that join, and also because it was said to be light and the backbox design was very similar to the Yozza - One sidemounted box, rather than 2 rear facing boxes like the Scorpion.

ultra-loud-182.jpg

It sounds nice, fits well etc. Currently it's decatted but come MOT time, I think I'll sell the decat, sell the stock cat and buy the KTEC sports cat which slides into this system, retaining 2.5" bore size.

So after I fitted the exhaust, I'd decided that the stock wheels just weren't doing it for me. To put it plainly, they look like Bin lids imo. So I hunted for Turini's for a long time, I wanted these as at the time I wanted to retain stock ride height...either they were too expensive, didn't come with tyres or their weren't any on sale.

JMS' James had a set of 15x7 Speedline 2118's from his track 172 he was breaking for a decent price, so snapped those up (ty to my Mum and my gf for the early xmas money to buy them! :D)
Much to my gf's disappointment these lived in the spare bedroom for some time..

163429_10150331686295246_565070245_16177381_7448787_n.jpg

Few advantages to the 15's, they are lighter for one, they look miles better, and tyre prices are substantially cheaper!
I couldnt fit 15's to the car on stock ride height... It would look like it was on stilts! :cookie:
I'd bought some Eibach Sportlines to have fitted to the RB from Kamracing

eibach-sportline-for-renault-clio-a-b-c-05.90-09.98-e20-75-001-01-20-57223-p.png

However, DaveW's missus 172 Cup had snapped both of its front springs at somepoint this winter so they were sold to her to help her out..
Because I'd sold the Eibach's and had the money coming from the 182 Cup wheels I was selling I started to look how I could go about going lower...
I had a chat with JMS and they'd convinced me to look into VMaxx Coilovers, sure enough there were good reviews about the later batch of VMaxx's all over CS.net and they'd give me the ride height I desired.

vmaxx-renault-clio-coilovers.jpg

So I travelled back to West Uxbridge to see JMS again to have Tom fit my VMaxx's.
I don't have any pictures from when they were first fitted. The car looked good though!
At the height Tom@JMS had set them up, the car felt like it was completely standard in terms of ride quality, still seems to handle well but with the drop in ride height. This was perfect as stock suspension is really good imo as it is!

A trackday came up on the 22nd Dec @ Brands that I was keen to do, however upon checking the incar toolkit, I realised the car didnt have a tow eye present...
Somehow it's been lost amongst previous owners (Yeah Harry!)
So I ordered a Cup-racer style tow eye from Si @ CS.net

IMG_9529.jpg

Will look good @ track, and serve its purpose.

I decided to destripe the old girl too, the stripes were chipped and grubby, and a small incident with a jet wash pushed me over the edge..they had to be removed. It looks good without anyway imo as there isn't and wasn't any white on the car to begin with. Destriping proved to be a right tw*t in sub freezing conditions though.

I decided, as I am ofcourse a baller that the car wasn't quite low enough for my liking.
So I had Arnold from here make her a touch closer to the ground. ty Arnold!

163836_10150346743075246_565070245_16479469_4953132_n.jpg

166311_10150346742470246_565070245_16479444_1402709_n.jpg

Also along the way I bought it a 3/4 height plate and some blue-look indicator bulbs for the front..Perhaps I'll do the rear too when Im not feeling too skint!

osram-diadem-py21w.jpg

Tracktime @ Brands was cancelled, so I was given a voucher to spend with MSV. Since I've booked Bedford open pit on Jan 15th as a Birthday treat! :)
I think I'll probably raise the car a weeny bit (around 10mm all round) for the day as I get a small bit of wheel arch liner scrub hard cornering, and it'll make the car that little bit more usable.

here's a few shots of how she looks now:

35634_10150350904875246_565070245_16575471_4207492_n.jpg

163644_10150347624180246_565070245_16496873_3825593_n.jpg

166569_10150347623315246_565070245_16496868_708135_n.jpg

Ideally I'll get her polished and borrow a D-SLR from work for a few decent snaps. May even make a cheeky drive by video aswell!

Plans for the future?
Blue / Silvervisions for the rear.
Genuine RenSport mats
have small dinks pulled out.
Recaro's if I come into a lot of disposable income...lol
Keep her running sweet.

Cheers,
Karl

Last edited:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Like that a lot mate, look forward to hearing your track day reports with the Vmaxx Coilovers

LY R26
Like that a lot mate, look forward to hearing your track day reports with the Vmaxx Coilovers

On the road they feel just as capable as stock dampers, which appear to be fine for light track use like what I'm doing. I probably do 3-5 outings a year. :)
However they aren't anything compared to my old Trophy's Sach's... :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I like that! Still, cant see how you've saved cash by chopping in the CTR?

Titanium 182
Craiiiiiiiiiiigggg...s**t..errrm Karllllllllllllllllllllll

FFS can you not keep a car more then 2 months!

P.S I love it :)

Titanium 182
Well someone has to be!

Its like a Saxp reunion over here. Its only took half of you about 5 years to come on board!

keo

Clio Trophy
Looks good mate i like your type r, i had a premier CTR engine/ gearbox was mint and i like how they look but the power steering ruined it for me, sold it with in 6 months was so diasapointed init.

172 Cup, RB 182 Cup
It was a premier and since the mods I havent saved much but it free'd up cash there and then type of thing. :)

Soulless @ DaveW's account btw

Disastra Coupe
Looks good that does, pal. The Speedlines look perfect on it.

Amazed how many folk off SaxP are on here! Lol.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nah i rate the VTR/VTS (gf had a VTR and 106 GTi - with my input ;))

Very underrated cars imo

Disastra Coupe
Nah i rate the VTR/VTS (gf had a VTR and 106 GTi - with my input ;))

Very underrated cars imo

I'd agree. Loved every minute of my VTR. Certainly the car i miss the most.

Anyway, let's let the thread get back on topic :p lol.

LY R26
Power in the Civic was much more evenly spread through the range (EP3 VTEC is nothing in the likes of how harsh an ek9 VTEC is.)
Civic felt better built, felt way bigger, nicer seating position, pedal position etc was awesome.

Advantages for the Clio:
This one is definitely quicker than the Civic, better on juice, more nimble (think this is mainly due to weight - as the Civic also has grip through the bends).

I'd definitely have another EP3, as they are equally just as good as the Clio, another reason I liked the Civic so much is that all my friends have Renaultsport, and it's nice to be a little different at times.

Do love the Clio now though after a few choice modifications! :) Glad everyone's being so positive about it!