ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soon to be turboed

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
As much a I hate to say it that was one of the better articles I've read in pfc. After finding out who wrote it I want to change my mind :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As much a I hate to say it that was one of the better articles I've read in pfc. After finding out who wrote it I want to change my mind :p

Lol, thanks for the half compliment.

I think on cars which are techy based cars where its an article largely about the engine rather than all about wheels or bodykits etc, it helps to have a journalist who also builds engines and maps cars etc which most of course cant do.
I'd be rubbish at writing about flip paint and bodykits and things like that as it doesnt interest me and I know nothing about it, so I never get that sort of work, but there are a few mags that use me just for the more techy based features.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, thanks for the half compliment.

I think on cars which are techy based cars where its an article largely about the engine rather than all about wheels or bodykits etc, it helps to have a journalist who also builds engines and maps cars etc which most of course cant do.
I'd be rubbish at writing about flip paint and bodykits and things like that as it doesnt interest me and I know nothing about it, so I never get that sort of work, but there are a few mags that use me just for the more techy based features.

In all seriousness though it was one of the better ones, I'm a sucker for just skimming through and looking at the pictures in pfc because it's just not that good to read but the article on this clio was very good

HBT 172 Cup
Interests me a lot this a very good read indeed, its nice to see you can reach a good level of power on a stock bottom end, this is key IMO as it saves a good deal of cost.

Couple of questions (im seriously considering having a crack at doing this myself), the dephaser solenoid from a 172 functions that same in a 197 cylinder head, or are there modifications for that?

Also if you turbo'd a 172 youd expect to reach say 230bhp at 8-9psi and leave it at that. You've naturally gone for slightly higher power now the engine has been decompressed slightly, but what would you calls its limits for that setup? 12, 13, 14psi?

It seems a great way to maximise output through a turbocharged solution without touching the bottom end.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Interests me a lot this a very good read indeed, its nice to see you can reach a good level of power on a stock bottom end, this is key IMO as it saves a good deal of cost.
Not just build cost either, ongoing cost too, so cheap to get another standard bottom end if you dont mind the downtime of swapping it over etc if you do have a problem.

Couple of questions (im seriously considering having a crack at doing this myself), the dephaser solenoid from a 172 functions that same in a 197 cylinder head, or are there modifications for that?
Yes the 172 solenoid fits straight upto the 197 head. Only mods to the head were drilling and tapping a couple of bolt holes IIRC, I wasnt involved in that bit though, but can check with Mike.
You dont actually NEED the 197 head though, not sure if you have read the article or not, but you could achieve EXACTLY the same results by just machining the 172 head and then you wouldnt struggle with clearance for the 197 inlet etc.

Also if you turbo'd a 172 youd expect to reach say 230bhp at 8-9psi and leave it at that. You've naturally gone for slightly higher power now the engine has been decompressed slightly
Its been decompressed a lot not just slightly, its under 9:1 now

but what would you calls its limits for that setup? 12, 13, 14psi?
As far as im aware the rods are the same as the megane ones, and the pistons are of the same construction, so it shouldnt be a problem to see the same sort of power outputs that people get from meganes.
We were very cautious mapping this one though, its making a good 5% less power than it could at the boost its running just to keep peak cylinder pressures down, its very much a footballers map on there TBH
Im pretty confident if Jack wanted to do so, we could see 300bhp from it as it stands with just a boost increase and some more aggressive mapping, but TBH there seems little point as it goes really well already and its only going to strain everything more, would certainly need a diff first!

It seems a great way to maximise output through a turbocharged solution without touching the bottom end.
Turbos are a very easy way to make power. I strongly considered it for our 172, but TBH not wanting to kill the box on a daily driver stopped us, although Jack's seems to be coping well so far so perhaps its RPM that they dont like not torque anyway. I managed to kill them on my mk1 and that has f-all torque, only in the 130s IIRC

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This car should hopefully be on the Cliosport stand at FCS on sunday if anyone wants to have a look around it :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We bought this yesterday.

Fitted some coil overs round mike woodford's house last night on the way up to the hotel, then tracked it at fcs today.

Turbo seals are gone (killed by the anti lag no doubt) so its smoking on overrun but other than that it's great, drives just as well as I remember.

I did 2 sessions in it today and my mrs did one.

Proper loving it :)

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Chip im chuffed for you and your latest purchase il be keen to see where you go with this project as the conversion was always interesting to me

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How comes you ended up buying it back?

Not a case of back as was never mine i was just mikes sounding board when he designed the conversion and i did some mapping onit.
but when jack sold it I was weighing it up but it wasn't great timing as the same month I spent out a few grand on a load of updated mapping equipment so couldn't really afford it that month but this time it was on a quiet month financially for me so wasn't a problem. Plus I'm getting rid of my XE Corsa on bodies soon anyway as the mrs hates it. So this kind of replaces that and my old phase 1 so I've got one less car now which cheers her up.

If I could have I'd have had it off jack the first night I went out with mike to map it , fell in love with it there and then!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip im chuffed for you and your latest purchase il be keen to see where you go with this project as the conversion was always interesting to me

Thanks mate.
It won't be changing much tbh as anything I do to make more power (which would be quite easy as I tried some mapping changes last night and it deffo went better but I put it back again for the trackday to keep it safe) it will just mean more chance of killing the chocolate box. I need a vag one like Jaff really!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looked well on track chip, only a little Turbo smoke.

I really hate smokey cars, they always look knackered. Lol. Even though bit of smoke from turbine side seal on the turbo has No effect on performance or anything as its only into the spent gas not the engine anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will take you out in it then if you like Jaff. If not on a track session then at least up the road.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just got in

Have owned the car about 32 hours or so now.
Done 500 miles, got average of 27mpg with cruising speeds of mainly about 90 (kmh of course if you are a policeman reading this, lol) including 3 track sessions at French car show at donnington park.

My mrs took it a bit steady on her session as prior to jumping in the car to go on track she hadnt even sat in it since I've owned it but was still hitting over 110mph on the relatively short straights pretty easily.

So pleased with it, effortless to drive on the motorway and yet really quick when you want it to be, everything a good turbo car should be really :)

The coil overs me and mike fitted last night have helped the handling a lot too, felt pretty reasonable on track, will now do all the things like track rods and rod ends and bushes etc to try and get it handling as well as my mrs 172 does on track.

BMW 118d
Great news Chip, I'm sure i remember you from Migweb many moon's ago. This conversion is definatly something I've been itching to do for a while now.