ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Someones behalf"

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I've seen a beaut 182 on the bay, but the advert is absolute shite unfortunately. I'm trying to look past it, as the car looks genuinely good. Basically, what's holding me back is that he says he's selling it on behalf of the husband of a friend. I asked a few questions; says it has a full service history with some receipts etc. Apparently the owner of the car has passed away.

This to me just seems like a scam or something, but just wanted to know if there's anyway to confirm? He says the original owner gave permission and signed the V5 before he passed. Is there any way to ensure it isn't a scam? Any way I could buy the car and ensure it's not gonna get taken off me because it's stolen?

I don't like the situation of buying a car not sold by the owner; but it must happen occasionally; it's kinda like the boy that cried wolf - so used to these things being scams, but genuinely, sometimes the owner of a car will die and the car will need to be sold, so sometimes these things must be true.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I know I don't - I probably won't - but I don't want to pass up what looks like a genuinely decent car if it's actually relatively easy to ensure that everything is legit.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Buying a car from here means you can check its history via previous threads and posts and what not, why not have a browse in the for sale section?

I'd also put a wanted thread up, alot of members on here will be more than happy to sell their car without pissing about with adverts/tyre kickers.

Clio 172
Just to put my two pennies in. You're right to be cautious but that doesn't mean it's not genuine. I was in a situation where my girlfriend left her car with me, she moved abroad, we broke up, and she asked me to sell it for her. People were suspicious (and rightly so) but sometimes these things happen.

That said, there are plenty of these cars about. If it happens to be very close to you and looks good then by all means try and get some proof, but I wouldn't bother if it was halfway across the country.

Golf Mk5 GTi
If localish I'd view it - you'll be able to get a better idea of the people in person (and obviously the car), gut instinct is often right imo and if you have any doubts walk away. I've walked away from cars before where the car looked good but there was something about the seller that had put me off. It you do a full HPI check on it do they give any guarantees against it turning out to be stolen etc?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Surely it forms part of the deceased estate, and is subject to their will (if they had one) surely it can't just be sold on until will etc is sorted out?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think it's a load of old b****cks.

I reckon he's a wannabe trader and he's using that excuse because the logbook's not in his name.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I may be incorrect, but I assume the car was given to his widow upon his death, and it is with her permission that the bloke I'm talking to is selling it. However, it's unlikely I'm going to follow it up any further - buying it indirectly is never going to give me the assurances I would like. I want to buy something from the classifieds on here, as Danny mentioned - I'd say many listed on here are maybe going with a bit of a premium, but it's definitely worth that bit extra to know the cars been owned by an enthusiast who's spent money on it and I can find out more about it - I guess I will just be biding my time - I want the right one.

Renault clio 2005
All Sounds A bit dodgy too me. I would walk away. Surely if the owner of the car has just passed away the last thing the family would wan`t to do is sell the car straight away. May be worth doing a hpi check on the car if You really like it. But there are many too choose from out there so be picky.

E46 M3, Clio 182
my dad is in the same situation with my grandad's car, he passed away, my nan is disabled as has no idea what so ever about cars, she has given permission for my dad to sell, but the log book is still in my grandads name, why add another owner for no reason? It does happen!

As above, I would go view the car, and meet the seller..