ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Someone help. I'm getting fed up!

I've got a 182 and one of my headlights has gone. Today i've taken the bumper off and headlight unit out to change with a new bulb and it's still not working.

Anyone got any idea how to sort this out. Can't believe i've had so much trouble with a light!

And to add insult to injury, my jack handle snapped!

If someone is able to fix this for me for some cash, I would very much appreciate it!

Ant.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You took the bumper off to change a bulb !?

Also .. you made the mistake of using the widowmaker. Put it in the bin and buy a trolley jack.

Has the ballast gone ? Assuming it's Xenons...

You took the bumper off to change a bulb !?

Also .. you made the mistake of using the widowmaker. Put it in the bin and buy a trolley jack.

Has the ballast gone ? Assuming it's Xenons...

I only had that available to use this morning to get it onto axle stands but i've got a trolley jack on it's way in the post. And yeah it's Xenons.

It's either, ballast, bulb or starter.

I have changed bulbs with new ones and it still isn't working but only on the one side so i'm assuming the bulbs and starter are ok? How do I check if the ballast is ok?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You don't need to take anything off to change a bulb. :S

Changing ballasts though.. you will need to get the light out unless you've go-go-gadget arms which from previous statement, I assume you do not ;)

What does the ballast look like? Is it this black box thing? Or is it something else?

Headlightthing_zps859b6353.jpg

The ballast is screwed under the light, undo the 3 bolts holding the light to the car, un clip the two plugs, take both lights out then switch the ballasts over, if that doesnt work switch the igniters (black box yellow writing).

The ballast is screwed under the light, undo the 3 bolts holding to the car, un clip the two plugs, take both lights out then switch the ballasts over, if that doesnt work switch the igniters (black box yellow writing).

Ah I think I know what you mean! Thanks. Such a ball ache all this.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Starter went on mine (the black box behind the bulb).

Does pulling the green wire off and putting it back on temporarily fix the problem?

Starter went on mine (the black box behind the bulb).

Does pulling the green wire off and putting it back on temporarily fix the problem?

No. It simply doesn't work. I'll try changing the ballast soon and see if that's the problem. Impressed you know the colour of the wire though Jenic.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
lol I had the same problem. Someone told me to try that and it fixed it for a couple of starts and then failed again. Changed the starter and it fixed it.

Ok so i've swapped ballasts over and it didn't switch the problem and i've also tried a new ballast. Everything is connected and no I have completely run out of ideas!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Sounds really silly but check all the fuses and swap out the one for the front lights even if it looks fine just to check. But check all the fuses anyway. I am pretty sure the left and right lights are on different fuses as both failing on one fuse is a massive safety concern. It has caught me out in the past. Fortunatly mine is a cup so the replacement bulb was cheap.

Secondly check all other lights on the car. I am sure the rear left light is fused with the front left light. But can't be sure.

See I did check the fuses and they seemed fine. Maybe I will change them anyway if that's what you're suggesting. Are you talking about the ones in the side of the passenger door opening?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
See I did check the fuses and they seemed fine. Maybe I will change them anyway if that's what you're suggesting. Are you talking about the ones in the side of the passenger door opening?

If you have checked them then they are probably not to blame. But it's an easy one to miss.

For the sake of someone else having a similar problem I will just finish by saying it was the ballast after all. Thanks for everyone's help.